- Availability: Daily
- Times: 9:45 AM, 11:45 AM, 1:45 PM
- Duration: 30 Minutes
Enjoying the beauty of Waikiki and Diamond Head is a real treat in the outrigger canoe and a uniquely Hawaiian experience. Outrigger canoe rides in Waikiki are an experience you will treasure for a lifetime!
What to Expect During An Outrigger Canoe Ride
Our outrigger canoe seats nine, plus the captain and second-captain. Once assigned a seat, you will be given a role in the crew based on your size and strength. Before entering the water, you will receive instruction on how to enter and exit the boat, along with details on how to paddle. Be prepared to paddle hard and listen to your Captain carefully as they shout out instructions to get the boat in the best position to ride the waves back toward the shore. Your Canoe ride can last anywhere from 10-45 minutes depending on the wave conditions. In-between catching waves, you will be able to look down on the reef area as a huge aquarium. We often see fish, turtles, and dolphins.
History of Outrigger Canoe Rides in Hawaii
Our beach boy Outrigger Canoe is a modern version boat used by ancient Hawaiians for fishing and traveling between the islands. Tourists have been enjoying the exhilarating feeling of catching waves on an outrigger canoe on Waikiki beach since the early 1900’s. Duke Kahanamoku, the original beach boy of Waikiki, took tourists out on Outrigger Canoes as part of the Hawaiian experience. To this day, Waikiki beach is one of the only places in the world where you can race down a wave on an outrigger canoe.
Top 10 Things to Know about Outrigger Canoe Rides
- Reservations are required for outrigger canoe rides; space is limited, so please book in advance.
- Outrigger canoe rides are available year round.
- Don’t forget your swimsuit and sunblock; you will get wet during the ride.
- Outrigger Canoe Surfing is an excellent activity for the whole family.
- All ages welcome.
- Outrigger canoes are the only ocean vessels that the Coast Guard does not require life jackets (life jackets are available upon request).
- We provide safety and paddling instruction before heading out on the outrigger canoe.
- We are experienced with riders who have special needs; please let us know at the time of your booking.
- Photos and videos of your Outrigger Canoe Experience will be available.
- Corporate groups, school organizations, team building retreats, organized outings are welcome.
- 4 person minimum to operate a tour.
- 9 persons maximum on the canoe.
Address: Waikiki Beach Walk (enter through Embassy Suites), 226 Lewers St. #154
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/cgt8KWgi4pa8BULGA
Valet Parking available at the Embassy Suites via Beachwalk st or Wyndham via Lewers st. We validate parking for both. There are meters and street parking; however, you can get a ticket or be towed if you are parked illegally.