Explore a waterfall that has several tier levels totaling more than 270 ft spread throughout the West Maui Mountains, so the hike we offer explores two of those tier levels. Enjoy the sweet smell of yellow and white ginger flowers as we hike through a lush forest in the West Maui Mountains. Part of this adventure is the road less traveled, and depending on season and time of day, the entire journey can feel that way.
Initially hike through bamboos thickets to a trail that weaves in and out of a lava rock stream to an upper tier waterfall and pool for swimming. The hike includes both dirt trail hiking and rock hopping, so includes some technical ability. Along the way, we’ll point out old native ruins, native species, such as Awapuhi ginger (seasonal) for conditioning the skin and hair right there! And Banyan trees, originally from India, with aerial roots that leave us in awe of nature. After feeling refreshed from our first swim, we’ll return to the original point of entry and begin our descent to the next phase of this journey, hiking through giant basalt formations, while descending down to lower tier waterfalls to explore and swim in the freshwater pools. The first tier has a natural waterfall slide that gushes into the pool, which is great for kids. Or if you prefer jumping into the pool, go for it! We’ll then hike further down the rocky stream to an incredible banyan tree with giant routes for climbing down to a larger more secluded, 2nd tier waterfall and pool, with the option of climbing into the falls. Epic! From here, we stand above an even larger and steep 3rd tier waterfall, for viewing, that gushes toward the ocean.
- Days: Everyday
- Tour Times: Available from 7:30 AM to 11:00 AM
- Duration: 5 Hours including commute
A cooler with water, towels, if need, head lights, underwater lights, umbrellas, reef safe sunblock, mosquito repellant, first aid kit, pair of walking sticks, coconut opener, hand wipes, hand sanitizer, Dramamine, paper towels and other necessities. For half day hikes, a backpack, extra light pack and a drypack.
- Bring as little as possible!
- Necessities are sturdy shoes for hikes and crossing waterfall streams. Preferably all in one shoes for adventures and getting wet, such as Chacos, Tevas, Keens OR simple reef shoes and tennis shoes.
- If you plan on swimming, best to wear your bathing suit under your clothes. If staying at a hotel, bring hotel towels.
- You may want to bring your cameras/phones, hats, sunglasses and environmentally safe sunblock (Sunscreens without Oxybenzone and Octinoxate).
- For half day hiking adventures, reusable water containers and a light pack or backpack.
- This tour is best suited for parties of 1-6 people.
- Level: Moderately Difficult
- Kahului Cruise Ship Harbor
- Kahului Park & Ride