- Big Island Eco Tours
- Big Island Tours & Activities
- KapohoKine Adventures
- Mauna Kea
- Observatory & Star Gazing
UPDATED 2021: Description of activity subject to change without notice due to new limitations and updated capacities. Thank you.
- Availability: Monday, Thursday, Friday, and Sunday (Closed Tuesday, Wednesday, and Saturday)
- Tour Time: 3:30 PM
- Duration: 7 hours
Mauna Kea Star Tour in Hilo
For an out-of-this-world experience, check out Maunakea Stellar Explorer from KapohoKine Adventures. This thrilling adventure is the only Big Island star tour to feature nighttime astronomical observing AND safe daytime solar viewing with all ages welcome! Our in-house stellar explorers are the best and most experienced in Hawaii with one having created the Mauna Kea Visitor’s Center and operated it for a decade. Others on staff have written noted articles and reviews for well-known astronomy magazines and have worked at world-class observatories.
Start your adventure in quaint Hilo town where you’ll drive along the historic waterfront before arriving at Rainbow Falls. This iconic waterfall right off a postcard features an 80 foot tall twin waterfall system. Look for the rainbow effect that gives the waterfall its name! Continue traveling up the Wailuku River to Boiling Pots. Impressive photo opportunities are often found here when the river “boils” through depressions in the rocks.
Explore Kaumana Caves, part of the lava tube system that brought lava 1.5 miles from Hilo-town in 1881. Take a peek inside the cathedral-like space before tucking into a quick picnic-style lunch atop the caves. Next, you’ll travel across Saddle Road between Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa, two of the tallest and most massive volcanoes on Earth. Your National Park Service trained guide will discuss the volcanology, geology, and history of these monstrous wonders, as well as providing in-depth narration on the various lava flows and flora and fauna that you’ll be passing by.
While you’re taking in the breathtaking terrestrial views, your guide will prepare some heavenly views just as stunning. Setting up a state of the art solar telescope for your viewing pleasure, your specially trained guide will let you safely watch the sun come alive in true color with vibrant solar flares, sunspots, prominences and any other current activity weather permitting.
Lastly, your guide will take you to one of our preferred locations on Mauna Kea for nighttime stargazing. You’ll observe deep sky and planetary objects through a large aperture Dobsonian telescope under one of the darkest and most pristine skies on planet Earth! Our Dobsonian telescopes are a true purist’s experience to view the night sky. Their fast focal ratio enables you to see sprawling wide field views of objects that simply aren’t possible with the types of telescopes used by other tours.
Depending on what is visible in the current sky and weather permitting, you’ll observe galaxies, nebula, star clusters, planets, double star systems, the moon, and much more; all the highlights and showpiece objects like you’ve never seen before! Afterwards, warm up with 100% Kona coffee, hot chocolate, and a delicious dessert from our local artisan baker before returning to your resort. Warm jackets provided. This tour does not visit Maunakea’s summit or Visitor Center out of deference to Native Hawaiian concerns.
Location: Grand Nani Loa Hotel – KapohoKine Adventures Store
Address: 93 Banyan Dr, Hilo, HI 96720
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/VL27fqPS1g72
Check-In: KapohoKine Adventures Store
Important: For your security, at check-in you are required to present the credit card that was used to pay for your booking and matching valid photo identification. The name listed on your credit card must be identical to the contact name listed on your booking.
Can be located across from the hotel near the golf course. Once parked you will need to walk to the Main Lobby of the Grand Nani Loa Hotel and we are located on the right side of the Main Lobby.
Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your tour time.
- Ham Sandwich: Ham,Lettuce,Sprouts,American Cheese,Mayonnaise on Whole Wheat Bread
- Turkey Sandwich: Turkey,Lettuce,Sprouts,American Cheese,Mayonnaise on Whole Wheat Bread
- Club Sandwich: Turkey,Ham,Lettuce,Sprouts,American Cheese,Mayonnaise on Whole Wheat Bread
- Chicken Sandwich: Chicken w/Mayo,Lettuce,Sprouts,American Cheese,Mayonnaise on Whole Wheat Bread
- Ham Salad: Ham,Lettuce,Tomato,Carrots & Shredded Cheese with Ranch Dressing
- Turkey Salad: Turkey,Lettuce,Tomato,Carrots & Shredded Cheese with Ranch Dressing
- Club Salad: Turkey,Ham,Lettuce,Tomato,Carrots & Shredded Cheese with Ranch Dressing
- Chicken Salad: Chicken w/Mayo,Lettuce,Tomato,Carrots & Shredded Cheese with Ranch Dressing
- Tuna Salad: Tuna w/Mayo,Lettuce,Tomato,Carrots & Shredded Cheese with Ranch Dressing
- Veggie Salad
- Depart – 3:30 PM
- Rainbow Falls – 4:00 PM – 4:20 PM
- Boiling Pots – 4:30 PM – 4:50 PM
- Kaumana Caves – 5:00 PM – 6:00 PM (dinner)
- Saddle sights – 6:30 PM – 7:30 PM (meet Kona)
- Stars – 8:00 PM – 9:30 PM (hot coffee/chocolate/dessert)
- Return – 10:30 PM
The order of the itinerary may change. Tour runs rain or shine.