- Big Island Eco Tours
- Big Island Hiking & Climbing
- Big Island Tours & Activities
- Big Island Volcano Tours
- Hawaii Volcano Tours
- Hiking & Climbing
- KapohoKine Adventures
- Volcanoes National Park
UPDATED 2021: Description of activity subject to change without notice due to new limitations and updated capacities. Thank you.
- Availability: Tuesday, Wednesday, and Saturday
- Tour Time: 9:30 AM
- Duration: 9 hours
Hilo, Hawaii Volcano Hike
Exploring Hawaii Island’s explosive side on foot is what this tour is all about. Hike Kilauea lava flows dating back to 1881 up to the historic flows of 2018. Head out of Hilo to the Puna Coast, location of the historic 2018 eruption, first stop is Mackenzie State Recreation Area. The highway here was closed by the marching 40 foot tall wall of crumbly a’a lava as it continued to the sea.
Take a hike along the now-closed highway, and then follow the lava flow through the pine forest to the altered coastline and cliffs overlooking the new black sand beach. Isaac Hale Beach Park is next. Lava floes encircled this popular Park miraculously sparing the infrastructure while completely destroying everything around it.
Be sure to check out the boat launch ramp, now sitting in a pond cut off from the ocean by a natural berm of lava. Don’t forget to look for steam still rising from the cooling lava as you drive across it, along with the infamous “Fissure 8” erupting in the heart of Lelani Estates subdivision. Picnic-style lunch is served here at the Park weather permitting.
Next travel to the crown jewel of the Big Island, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Briefly visit the Kilauea Iki Overlook before heading off on foot down the paved road to Keanakakoi. Check out the activity here from the historic 2018 eruption which buckled the road and caused racks and sinkholes. You’ll get a birds-eye view of the Kilauea Caldera and the enormous Halema’uma’u Crater, along with views of the trail you will take into the Caldera. This trail has been used to hike into the caldera since being established in 1846.
Mark Twain was once rescued by native guide Alex Lancaster using this trail. It’s about 2 miles roundtrip taking you past the famous Sulphur Banks, through ancient forests of tree ferns, some as old as 1,000 years. Look for native birds, such as the yellow ‘amakihi and the red ‘apapane. Huge boulders came to rest here during ancient rock slides and eruptions. Look for marks left by previous visitors such as Benjamin Boyd, a Scot, and John Webster, a California artist, from back in 1851. Reaching the floor of Kilauea Calder there is an incredible rock slide to your left, evidence of the 2018 eruption, and Halema’uma’u Crater before you. The Crater increased in size during the eruption with the lava lake draining out of it leaving behind an enormous 1,000 foot deep pit. Return to civilization at Volcano House for some beautiful views. Deli Style picnic lunch included.
- Deli-style picnic
- Round-trip transportation from Hilo airport
Location: Grand Nani Loa Hotel – KapohoKine Adventures Store
Address: 93 Banyan Dr, Hilo, HI 96720
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/VL27fqPS1g72
Check-In: KapohoKine Adventures Store
Important: For your security, at check-in you are required to present the credit card that was used to pay for your booking and matching valid photo identification. The name listed on your credit card must be identical to the contact name listed on your booking.
Can be located across from the hotel near the golf course. Once parked you will need to walk to the Main Lobby of the Grand Nani Loa Hotel and we are located on the right side of the Main Lobby.
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to scheduled pick-up time.
- The order of the itinerary may change.
- Tour runs rain or shine.
- Ham Sandwich: Ham, Lettuce, Sprouts, American Cheese, Mayonnaise on Whole Wheat Bread
- Turkey Sandwich: Turkey, Lettuce, Sprouts, American Cheese, Mayonnaise on Whole Wheat Bread
- Club Sandwich: Turkey, Ham, Lettuce, Sprouts, American Cheese, Mayonnaise on Whole Wheat Bread
- Chicken Sandwich: Chicken w/Mayo, Lettuce, Sprouts, American Cheese, Mayonnaise on Whole Wheat Bread
- Ham Salad: Ham, Lettuce, Tomato, Carrots & Shredded Cheese with Ranch Dressing
- Turkey Salad: Turkey, Lettuce, Tomato, Carrots & Shredded Cheese with Ranch Dressing
- Club Salad: Turkey, Ham, Lettuce, Tomato, Carrots & Shredded Cheese with Ranch Dressing
- Chicken Salad: Chicken w/Mayo, Lettuce, Tomato, Carrots & Shredded Cheese with Ranch Dressing
- Tuna Salad: Tuna w/Mayo, Lettuce, Tomato, Carrots & Shredded Cheese with Ranch Dressing
- Veggie Salad