- Big Island Eco Tours
- Big Island Hiking & Climbing
- Big Island Tours & Activities
- Big Island Volcano Tours
- Hawaii Volcano Tours
- Hiking & Climbing
- KapohoKine Adventures
- Volcanoes National Park
UPDATED 2021: Description of activity subject to change without notice due to new limitations and updated capacities. Thank you.
- Availability: Wednesday and Saturday
- Tour Time: 9:30 AM
- Duration: 9 Hours
Hilo, Hawaii Volcano Hike
Exploring Hawaii Island’s explosive side on foot is what this tour is all about. Our first stop is Kaumana Caves, part of the lava tube system that brought lava as close as 1.5 miles from downtown Hilo in 1881. Take a peek inside the dramatic cathedral-like space. Next, you’re headed to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park where you’ll see the destruction done by the 2018 eruption! After a picnic lunch inside the National Park listening to the native bird calls, you’ll head off along the Halemaumau trail to start your longest hike of approximately three miles. The trail starts behind the historic Volcano House and switches back down to the caldera floor that changed drastically during the 2018 eruption. This trail has been used to hike into the caldera since being established in 1846. Mark Twain was once rescued by native guide Alex Lancaster using this trail. It’s only about half a mile through ancient forests of tree ferns, some as old as 1,000 years. Look for native birds, such as the yellow amakihi and the red apapane. Huge boulders came to rest along the trail during ancient rock slides and eruptions. Look for marks left by previous visitors such as Benjamin Boyd, a Scot, and John Webster, a California artist, from back in 1851. Reaching the floor of Kilauea Caldera there is an incredible rock slide to your left, evidence of the 2018 eruption, and Halema’uma’u Crater before you. The Crater increased in size during the eruption with the lava lake draining out of it leaving behind an enormous 1,000-foot-deep pit.
Skirt the edge of the caldera over one of the previous lava lakes and see the native ohi a lehua trees slowly claiming the area as their own. Take your time coming up to Byron Ledge as you will be climbing roughly 400 ft of elevation in half a mile, but will also have sweeping views of the 1000 ft. pit that has been filling up with lava as Kilauea Volcano continues to erupt off and on. The beautiful photo opportunities along the way allow you to take a breather, along with a bench at the top of the climb with a bird’s eye view of the caldera floor you were just on.
The rest of the trail leading over to Waldron Overlook is a more gradual incline through the forest with sneak peaks of Puu Puai and Kilauea Iki. End the hike along old crater rim drive, which is now slowly being consumed by vegetation and end back at Volcano House where you can sit and enjoy the view some more. The adventure doesn’t stop there! After a short break, your guide will take you to some of the other amazing locations Hawaii Volcanoes National Park has to offer, including the lava flow of Mauna Ulu where you’ll look for Pele’s tears and lava trees. You’ll also see the older Nahuku lava tube hidden in the rainforest. For all your hard work, you’ll end with a filling dinner at one of the locals’ favorite restaurants in Volcano Village, just outside the National Park. “Lava glow viewing if weather and lava conditions permit”
- Deli-style picnic
- Round-trip transportation
- Participants must be at least 5 years old.
- Tour runs rain or shine.
- All participants must complete electronic waivers prior to participation.
Location: Grand Nani Loa Hotel – KapohoKine Adventures Store
Address: 93 Banyan Dr, Hilo, HI 96720
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/VL27fqPS1g72
Check-In: Please arrive 15 minutes prior to the scheduled tour time at KapohoKine Adventures Store.
Important: For your security, at check-in you are required to present the credit card that was used to pay for your booking and matching valid photo identification. The name listed on your credit card must be identical to the contact name listed on your booking.
Can be located across from the hotel near the golf course. Once parked you will need to walk to the Main Lobby of the Grand Nani Loa Hotel and we are located on the right side of the Main Lobby.
- The order of the itinerary may change.
- A booster seat or car seat depending on size and weight of the child will be provided.
- Ham Sandwich: Ham, Lettuce, Sprouts, American Cheese, Mayonnaise on Whole Wheat Bread
- Turkey Sandwich: Turkey, Lettuce, Sprouts, American Cheese, Mayonnaise on Whole Wheat Bread
- Club Sandwich: Turkey, Ham, Lettuce, Sprouts, American Cheese, Mayonnaise on Whole Wheat Bread
- Chicken Sandwich: Chicken w/Mayo, Lettuce, Sprouts, American Cheese, Mayonnaise on Whole Wheat Bread
- Ham Salad: Ham, Lettuce, Tomato, Carrots & Shredded Cheese with Ranch Dressing
- Turkey Salad: Turkey, Lettuce, Tomato, Carrots & Shredded Cheese with Ranch Dressing
- Club Salad: Turkey, Ham, Lettuce, Tomato, Carrots & Shredded Cheese with Ranch Dressing
- Chicken Salad: Chicken w/Mayo, Lettuce, Tomato, Carrots & Shredded Cheese with Ranch Dressing
- Tuna Salad: Tuna w/Mayo, Lettuce, Tomato, Carrots & Shredded Cheese with Ranch Dressing
- Veggie Salad