UPDATED 2021: Description of activity subject to change without notice due to new limitations and updated capacities. Thank you.
- Availability: Daily
- Tour times: Available from 8:00 AM to 3:30 PM
- Duration: 3 Hours
KAUAI’S ONLY TUBING ADVENTURE ACTIVITY!
Hop on one of our four-wheel-drive vehicles and traverse the former Lihue Plantation lands as we ride deep into Kauai’s pristine emerald green interior, where your tubing adventure begins! Enjoy breathtaking vistas while your guide shares information about our island. When you arrive at our launch site, grab a tube, don a headlamp, and jump in the gently flowing waters.
Witness Kauai’s spectacular, historic engineering feats as you float down the open canals and through several amazing tunnels and flumes engineered and hand-dug circa 1870. Enjoy the wonder and magic of each tunnel illuminated by your headlamp. At the end of your adventure, you are guided to an enchanted picnic area nearby for a delicious lunch and a cool dip in a natural swimming hole. There’s no better way to experience the Kauai mountains!
THE MOUNTAIN TUBING ADVENTURE IS A UNIQUE AND MEMORABLE EXPERIENCE FOR THE ENTIRE FAMILY!
This tubing adventure is perfect for people ages 5 and over and in generally good physical condition. The gently flowing waters, beautiful scenery, flumes, and tunnels create a relaxing, fun, and fascinating experience. And when we say we are unique, we mean it! This is the only tubing activity of this type on Kauai, and we are the only eco-tour company with access to these 17,000 acres of former plantation lands.
The historic Lihue Plantation ditch and tunnel system that once irrigated vast sugar crops had been unused since sugar was taken out of production in 2000. In January 2003, Kaua’i Backcountry opened a section for exclusive tubing tours. This water system runs through some of the most beautiful and remote lands on the island. It includes spectacular views of the ocean, coastline, mountains, and valleys. The waters that originate near the top of Mount Waialeale, one of the wettest spots in the world, are channeled through ditches and tunnels hand-dug by plantation workers over a century ago!
If you want to get off the beaten track, don’t miss this exclusive tubing tour. From start to finish, we take you on an amazing, fun-filled journey that you’re not likely to forget. Our customers tell us time and time again that our tours were the highlight of their vacation and often return for more of our tropical adventures.
- Headlamps & gloves
- Delicious lunch and water (two hours into the tour)*
- Hand sanitizer
*Picnic style “Build you Own” pita sandwich. Complete your delicious lunch with chips, cookies, and cold beverages.
- Secure Water Friendly Shoes (rental shoes, sizes 5-12, available) – No Flip Flops
- Swimsuits or Clothing that can get wet
- Towels & Change of dry clothing
- Hat and Bug repellent
- Minimum Age: 5 years or older
- Height: Must be a minimum of 43 inches tall.
- Weight Limit: 300 pounds.*
- Fitness Level: Average
- Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Not recommended for those with back, hip, or knee problems.
- Women up to the second trimester of pregnancy may participate with written physical approval.
- Not recommended for anyone claustrophobic
- Weather: Unless extreme weather prohibits, tours go out rain or shine
- Kauai Backcountry Adventures reserves the right to refuse service due to safety and/or health conditions.
*All guests are weighed at check-in. Those outside the 300-pound range are not able to participate.
Location: Kauai Backcountry Adventures
Address: 3-4131 Kuhio Hwy, Lihue, HI 96766
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/SFLY8BVDJVX33bng7
Please arrive 30 minutes prior to your scheduled tour time.
***Please note: Due to high demand, this tour is on request. We will try to confirm availability within the shortest possible time after we receive your order. A dedicated staff member will be in touch by phone and email.***