UPDATED 2021: Description of activity subject to change without notice due to new limitations and updated capacities. Thank you.
- Availability: Daily
- Tour Times:
- Monday-Friday: 8:00 AM, 11:00 AM
- Saturday and Sunday: 8:00 AM, 11:00 AM, 1:30 PM
- Duration: 75 Minutes
The Big Island is home to some of the most stunning waterfalls in all of Hawaii. Upon departing from Kona International Airport, we whisk you away to explore the seven windward valleys of Kohala!
Our first stop is the windward side of the Kohala Mountains, where we fly along the coastline of Waipio Valley and then move westward to Waimanu Valley. Waimanu can experience annual rainfall of up to 200 inches, fueling over 1500-foot waterfalls, some of the tallest in all of Hawaii.
Following the valleys west, we fly over Honopue, Honokea, Honokane Iki, the historic valley of Honokane Nui or Big Valley, and Pololu Valley. We climb and cross over the summit of Kohala, the oldest of the five volcanoes that make up the Big Island of Hawaii.
Your tour ends with a beautiful coastline flight over sparkling ocean waters, ancient lava flows, and the spectacular luxury resorts that make their homes on the island’s leeward shore.
Waterfall Tour Highlights:
- Enjoy a stunning flyby of some of the hidden sites that Hawaii’s diverse climate can offer.
- On your flight to Waimea, your helicopter dips down into the valleys to get up close and personal with Hawaii’s waterfalls, some reaching over 2000 feet.
- Overfly Kohala Mountain.
- Cruising down the amazing Gold Coast of Hawai’i, check out the sandy beaches of Kua Bay and Makalawena.
- On a doors-on flight, we recommend that you wear dark outer layers to minimize reflection in the windows during photography. Because you are not exposed to the elements, whatever clothing you are comfortable with at sea level is adequate for your flight.
- An open-door experience is exciting and fun and we want you to enjoy your flight without being distracted by wind or chill. A warm outer layer that you can zip up, such as a windproof jacket, is ideal.
- If you are particularly prone to motion sickness, we do recommend that you prepare with oral motion‐sickness medication so you can enjoy your flight, free from worry. Please request an “Aloha Bag” from our pilot prior to takeoff or during the flight.
- The Magical Waterfall Tour is a private tour for 3-4 passengers. We do not sell seats individually. Conducted in the R66.
- The minimum age is 7 years old for doors-on tours and 12 years old for doors-off tours.
- Weight Limitations:
- Max weight per passenger of 285lbs
- Max total group weight cannot exceed 700lbs
- Weights will be taken at the time of check-in with all items going on the helicopter with you. Due to legal and safety reasons, if weight limits are exceeded at the time of check-in, we will not be able to accommodate the tour, and is non-refundable.
- All passengers must check in with a valid photo ID.
- We strongly advise against wind-susceptible clothing such as dresses and hooded items. In winter, long pants are highly recommended.
- To keep you and your belongings safe, we cannot permit any loose objects on your doors-off flight. This includes hats, visors, scarves, hair clips, and strapless sandals.
- Eyeglasses are permissible. Hair that is long enough should be tied tightly with an elastic band. Any equipment must be secured to you via a strap.
- Routes or flight times may vary due to weather conditions. Mauna Loa Helicopters reserves the right to cancel any tour due to unsafe weather. If cancellation due to weather occurs prior to the flight, any money collected will be refunded. If the flight has begun and must be canceled due to weather within 10 minutes of takeoff, the tour price will be refunded in full. If the flight has exceeded 10 minutes, the passengers will be refunded for the percentage of the flight that did not take place. The pilots do have all the way up until the flight time to make a weather decision. If cancelled due to weather per the pilot, rescheduling opportunities are based upon availability.
- Customers who are sick inside the helicopter during flight will be charged a $100 cleaning fee.
- Please note that all body parts must remain inside the helicopter for the duration of the tour. We do not allow “foot selfies” or similar on our tours for safety reasons.
- Passengers who miss their scheduled flight time due to a late check-in will be charged a fee of $100 if they are able to reschedule.
Location: Mauna Loa Helicopter at KOA Airport
Address: 73-310 Uu St, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
Google Maps: https://g.page/mauna-loa-helicopters-hawaii?share
Check-in: All passengers must check-in with a valid photo ID no less than 30 minutes prior to their scheduled flight time.
Parking: Look for our Mauna Loa Helicopter Tours Sign. Parking is FREE. Park in the gravel parking lot south of the building. We will meet you in the Tiki Hut at your designated check-in time.
Please arrive 30 minutes prior to your tour time.