- Big Island Eco Tours
- Big Island Hiking & Climbing
- Big Island Tours & Activities
- Hiking & Climbing
- Private Tours
UPDATED 2021: Description of activity subject to change without notice due to new limitations and updated capacities. Thank you.
- Availability: Thursday
- Tour Times: 6:30 AM
- Duration: 12 Hours
UPGRADE to an affordable Private Ohana Tour and experience “Hakalau Forest Reserve Exclusive” exclusively with your family or small group.
This tour will now be run in one of our brand new 4WD Short Wheel Base Mercedes Sprinters. These vehicles are perfect for our birdwatching tours as they are designed for smaller, more intimate groups (Minimum 4, Maximum 9 passengers) and deliver a rugged build that allows access to those off-the-beaten-path locations. To top it off, they offer all the luxury comforts including leather captain’s seats, USB charging ports, and a roof-mounted awning. Riding in style with our best-in-class field guides to a restricted access nature preserve, you’ll experience a truly unique Hawaii Island adventure!
- Exclusive experience with your family or small group
- Gain entry into a restricted-access National Wildlife Refuge
- Discover rare native plants and animals, including carnivorous caterpillars and happy-faced spiders
- Search for native & endangered birds including Amakihi, Apapane, Elepaio, Akepa, Akiapolaau, and Iiwi
- Our interpretive guides are expert bird trackers
- Deli-style lunch with assorted beverages.
- Gears – Walking sticks, binoculars, day packs, warm wear, and rain ponchos.
- Sturdy closed-toe shoes or boots
- Wear long pants
- Bring a light rain jacket
- Tour is for ages 8 years and older
- Children 10 and under, and less than 4 feet 9 inches tall are required to be seated in the proper child restraint system or booster per Hawaii State Law.
- Minimum 4 participants, Maximum of 9 participants
- Tour is rated Moderate. Guests should be able to hike on uneven or rocky terrain. Expect to cover approximately 2 to 4 miles in 4 hours. Over the course of the hike, the elevation change is approximately 650’.
- We sometimes encounter cool, wet, or muddy conditions.
- Please note the Refuge access road can be rough & bumpy, and requires 4WD. Due to the possible rough road conditions this tour may not be suitable for those guests who have neck or back issues or those who are prone to motion sickness.
- Due to the behavior of Hawaii’s endemic birds, the use of a spotting scope can be challenging. If you feel up to the test, we do encourage you to bring your own birdwatching gear. We do provide binoculars on the tour for guest use.
Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled pick-up time.
Pick-up Location and Time:
- 6:30 AM – Hawaii Forest & Trail Kona Headquarters
- 6:45 AM – Kukio Golf & Beach Club
- 6:50 AM – Four Seasons Resort Hualalai (Front Entrance)
- 7:00 AM – Fairmont Orchid (Lower Kiosk Entrance)
- 7:00 AM – Westin Hapuna Beach Resort (formerly Hapuna Prince) (Front Entrance)
- 7:00 AM – Mauna Kea Beach Hotel (Front Entrance)
- 7:00 AM – Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows (Front Entrance)
- 7:05 AM – Hilton Wailkoloa Village (Shuttle Lobby, NOT the main lobby)
- 7:10 AM – Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa (Front Entrance)
- 7:15 AM – Queens’ Market Place ( Look for Charlie’s Thai Cuisine, and we’ll be at the curb!)
- 7:25 AM – Paniolo Greens Resort (Recreation Center)
- 7:30 AM – Lava Java Waikoloa (Front Entrance)
Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled pick-up time. Please be on time as these pick-ups determine when we start our tours. Mahalo