UPDATED 2021: Description of activity subject to change without notice due to new limitations and updated capacities. Thank you.
- Availability: Daily
- Tour Time:
- Monday-Friday: 2:30 PM, 3:30 PM, 4:30 PM, 5:30 PM
- Saturday and Sunday: Available from 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM
- Duration: 30 Minutes
The Amazing Kona Coast
Come and experience the Kona Coast from the air with us. This amazing tour takes you either from Kona Airport (Southbound) past Honokohau Bay, Kona Town, Keauhou to the famous Captain Cook or (Northbound) to the famous Kua Bay, Kiholo Bay, Hapuna Beach and Kawaihae. If you are short on time (or during whale season wish to see some whales) this is the tour for you! Book your 30 minutes flight today!
Jump on one of our Kona Coast Experience Tours and get a birds eye view of one of the most stunning landscapes in the Hawaiian Islands. Northbound we have some of the planets most stunning beaches including the multi award winning Manini‘owali Beach (Kua Bay). South bound we get as far as Captain Cook, often overlooked for more resort-saturated spots along Hawaii Island’s Kona Coast. Captain Cook, a small town with a population of just 3,400 individuals, is full of Hawaiian history.
On January 17, 1779, Captain James Cook, of Great Britain, sailed into Kealakekua Bay. The native Hawaiian welcomed the Captain and his crew with open arms, believing them to be returning gods. A massive feast was held in their honor, however, a month later, upon realizing that the Captain and his crew were mere mortals, Cook was killed in a conflict. Approximately 99 years later, a 27-foot white obelisk was erected to honor the famous seafarer.
- Guaranteed window seats for 3 passengers and your very own private pilot
- Doors-on or doors-off option (at no extra cost)
- Live tour commentary in English
- On a doors-on flight, we recommend that you wear dark outer layers to minimize reflection in the windows during photography. Because you are not exposed to the elements, whatever clothing you are comfortable with at sea level is adequate for your flight.
- An open-door experience is exciting and fun and we want you to enjoy your flight without being distracted by wind or chill. A warm outer layer that you can zip up, such as a windproof jacket, is ideal.
- If you are particularly prone to motion sickness, we do recommend that you prepare with oral motion‐sickness medication so you can enjoy your flight, free from worry. Please request an “Aloha Bag” from our pilot prior to takeoff or during the flight.
- The minimum age is 7 years old for doors-on tours and 12 years old for doors-off tours.
- All passengers must check-in with a valid photo ID
- Weight Limitations
- 3 Seat Helicopter:
- Max weight per passenger of 275lbs
- Max total group weight cannot exceed 650lbs
- 3 Seat Helicopter:
- Weights will be taken at the time of check-in with all items going on the helicopter with you. Due to legal and safety reasons, if weight limits are exceeded at the time of check-in, we will not be able to accommodate the tour, and is non-refundable. NOTE: Seat assignments may be subject to weight and balance restrictions of the aircraft.
- Minimum 2, maximum 3 passengers (of the same family group only).
- We strongly advise against wind-susceptible clothing such as dresses and hooded items. In winter, long pants are highly recommended.
- To keep you and your belongings safe, we cannot permit any loose objects on your doors-off flight. This includes hats, visors, scarves, hair clips, and strapless sandals.
- Eyeglasses are permissible. Hair that is long enough should be tied tightly with an elastic band. Any equipment must be secured to you via a strap.
- Routes or flight times may vary due to weather conditions. Mauna Loa Helicopters reserves the right to cancel any tour due to unsafe weather. If cancellation due to weather occurs prior to the flight, any money collected will be refunded. If the flight has begun and must be canceled due to weather within 10 minutes of takeoff, the tour price will be refunded in full. If the flight has exceeded 10 minutes, the passengers will be refunded for the percentage of the flight that did not take place. The pilots do have all the way up until the flight time to make a weather decision. If canceled due to weather per the pilot, rescheduling opportunities are based upon availability.
- Customers who are sick inside the helicopter during the flight will be charged a $100 cleaning fee.
- Please note that all body parts must remain inside the helicopter for the duration of the tour. We do not allow “foot selfies” or similar on our tours for safety reasons.
- Passengers who miss their scheduled flight time due to a late check-in will be charged a fee of $100 if they are able to reschedule.
Location: Mauna Loa Helicopter at KOA Airport
Address: 73-310 Uu St, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/w5EPjuJ5oStEDZFx8
Check-in: All passengers must check-in with a valid photo ID no less than 30 minutes prior to their scheduled flight time.
Parking: Look for our Mauna Loa Helicopter Tours Sign. Parking is FREE. Park in the gravel parking lot south of the building. We will meet you in the Tiki Hut at your designated check-in time.
Please arrive 30 minutes prior to your tour time.