- Big Island Helicopter Tours
- Big Island Tours & Activities
- Helicopter Tours
- Island Tours
- Island Tours in Big Island
UPDATED 2021: Description of activity subject to change without notice due to new limitations and updated capacities. Thank you.
- Availability: Daily
- Tour Time: 8:00 AM, 11:00 AM, 2:00 PM
- Duration: 2 Hours
For those of you who want it all, the full island VIP adventure tour is for you! It’s all of our helicopter tours of the Big Island rolled into one, plus an active volcano!
Departing from Kona International Airport, we head straight to Kilauea by way of the saddle running between Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa, Hawaii’s tallest mountains.
Kilauea is one of the most active volcanoes on earth and has been continuously erupting since 1974. Here, we explore the East Rift Zone of Kilauea, including Kilauea Crater, Pu’u O’o Vent, and its lava flows that are currently entering the Pacific Ocean.
The tour then flies north up the windward side of the island passing Hilo town, the wettest town on earth, and the heavenly Hamakua Coast. Then we whisk you up north to explore the seven windward valleys of Kohala. The first stop is the windward side of the Kohala Mountains, where we fly the coastline of Waipio Valley and then move westward to Waimanu Valley. Waimanu can experience annual rainfall of up to 200 inches, fueling 1500-foot waterfalls, some of the tallest in all of Hawaii.
Following the valleys west, we fly over Honopue, Honokea, Honokane Iki, and the historic valley of Honokane Nui or Big Valley and Pololu. We climb and cross over the summit of Kohala, the oldest of the five volcanoes that make up the Big Island of Hawaii.
Your tour concludes with a beautiful coastline flight over sparkling ocean waters, ancient lava flows, and the spectacular luxury resorts that make their homes on the island’s leeward shores.
Helicopter Tour Highlights:
- Fly over the most active volcano in the world, Kilauea, which has been continuously flowing for over 30 years and inspires awe every day.
- While on the east side of the island, you are treated to views of Hawai’i Island’s largest city, Hilo.
- Your private journey continues along the Hamakua Coastline with wave-swept shorelines, tropical rainforest, and hundreds of waterfalls.
- Upon reaching the Kohala Coast, there are several majestic and sacred valleys to explore.
- Deep in the back of the valleys, where only helicopters can reach, are over 2000-foot waterfalls that you can hover right next to as you gaze at their power and beauty.
- As you cross over the Kohala Mountain, you cruise over the Gold Coast.
- On a doors-on flight, we recommend that you wear dark outer layers to minimize reflection in the windows during photography. Because you are not exposed to the elements, whatever clothing you are comfortable with at sea level is adequate for your flight.
- If you are particularly prone to motion sickness, we do recommend that you prepare with oral motion‐sickness medication so you can enjoy your flight, free from worry. Please request an “Aloha Bag” from our pilot prior to takeoff or during the flight.
- Must be 7 years of age or older
- For passenger comfort, this is a door-on tour only.
- All passengers must check-in with a valid photo ID
- Weight Limitations
- 3 Seat Helicopter (R44):
- Max passenger weight of 275lbs.
- For groups of 3 passengers, no more than one person can be 200+ lbs.
- 4 Seat Helicopter (R66):
- Max passenger weight of 285lbs.
- For groups of 4 passengers, no more than two people can be 240+ lbs.
- 3 Seat Helicopter (R44):
- Due to legal reasons, we are unable to fly passengers who are 300lbs and above at the time of flight. Seat assignments may be subject to weight and balance restrictions of the aircraft
- The Big Island Experience Tour is sold as a private charter. We do not sell seats individually.
- We strongly advise against wind-susceptible clothing such as dresses and hooded items. In winter, long pants are highly recommended.
- Eyeglasses are permissible. Hair that is long enough should be tied tightly with an elastic band. Any equipment must be secured to you via a strap.
- Routes or flight times may vary due to weather conditions. Mauna Loa Helicopters reserves the right to cancel any tour due to unsafe weather. If cancellation due to weather occurs prior to the flight, any money collected will be refunded. If the flight has begun and must be canceled due to weather within 10 minutes of takeoff, the tour price will be refunded in full. If the flight has exceeded 10 minutes, the passengers will be refunded for the percentage of the flight that did not take place.
- Customers who are sick inside the helicopter during flight will be charged a $100 cleaning fee.
- Please note that all body parts must remain inside the helicopter for the duration of the tour. We do not allow “foot selfies” or similar on our tours for safety reasons.
Location: Mauna Loa Helicopter at KOA Airport
Address: 73-310 Uu St, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
Google Maps: https://g.page/mauna-loa-helicopters-hawaii?share
Please arrive 30 minutes prior to your tour time.