The Smith Family has been sharing the Aloha spirit with visitors and Kama’aina on Kauai for almost 70 years. We invite you to join us in celebrating the unique flavors of Hawaii and the rhythm of Aloha at our family’s garden Luau!
Tour the 30-acre gardens before heading to the first event of the evening, the Imu ceremony. After hours of cooking in the underground oven, the main course – the Kalua pig – is revealed. Following the ceremony, enjoy an open bar as we serenade you with a variety of songs in the Luau Hale.
The heart of the Luau is the feast and dinner is an all-you-can-eat buffet which includes local favorites like the tasty kalua pig, sweet/sour mahi mahi, teriyaki beef, and chicken adobo. We also insist that you try the poi!
After all the food and drink, we take a short stroll to the torchlit lagoon theater where, through song and dance, we honor cultural traditions of Hawaii and cousins from the Pacific Rim. The lyrical sway of the Hawaiian Hula, the colorful precision of the Tahitian Otea and the excitement of the Samoan Fire Knife Dance all speak deeply of the people who are proud to share their own rhythm of Aloha with our guests.
- November to January: Monday, Wednesday, & Friday
- February to October: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday
- June to August: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday
- Tour Time: Seasonal 4:45 PM or 5:00 PM*
- Duration: Approx. 4 Hours
*November through February 4:45 PM (7:15 PM for Show Only); March through October 5:00 PM (7:30 PM for Show Only)
- 5:00 PM : November through February – 4:45 PM
Welcome — Join us in paradise near the sacred Wailua River, a place once reserved for Hawaiian royalty. Receive your shell lei and either take a narrated tram tour or a leisurely stroll around the lush 30-acre gardens (last tram tour departs at 5:30 P.M., November through February: 5:15 P.M.)
- 6:00 PM : November through February – 5:45 PM
Imu Ceremony — Meet some of our family members and learn of the Hawaiian cooking method called Kalua — where Kalua pig is wrapped in ti leaves and cooked to perfection in our earthen imu oven.
- 6:15 PM : November through February – 6:00 PM
Cocktails & Music — Have a mai tai, beer, or glass of wine at the open bar while the Smith family entertains with Hawaiian songs. (Soft drinks and juice are also available.)
- 6:30 PM : November through February – 6:15 PM
Luau Feast — The music continues while you enjoy traditional flavors and island favorites like kalua pork, beef teriyaki, chicken adobo, and sweet’n’sour mahimahi. Sample our ono local specialties like lomi salmon, fresh poi, Hawaiian sweet potato, mac salad, namasu salad and scrumptious tropical desserts!
- 8:00 PM : November through February – 7:45 PM
Rhythm of Aloha Show — Move to the rhythm with colorful, authentic performances from Hawaii, Tahiti, Samoa, Philippines, New Zealand, China and Japan in our spacious open-air, torch-lit “Pele Amphitheater” (complete with erupting volcano!).
Already have dinner plans?
You can still reserve “show only” tickets. Gates open at 7:30pm (November through February: 7:15 P.M.) for those who would like to only attend the show.
Location: Smith Family Garden Luau at the Wailua Marina State Park
Address: 3-5971 Kuhio Hwy, Kapaʻa, HI 96746
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/LUfo2cMSqk37WCi99
Driving Directions: Smith’s Tropical Paradise and the Fern Grotto tour are located in the Wailua Marina State Park on the east side of the island. Once you’ve turned off the highway, just follow the drive all the way back to the parking area.
- From the North (Hanalei, Princeville, Kapaa): Take Hwy. 56 South through Kapaa to the Wailua River. Go past Kuamoo road, over the river, and take the first right into the Wailua Marina State Park.
- From the South (Waimea, Poipu, Lihue): Take Hwy. 56 North from the Lihue airport. A mile after the Wailua Golf Course, watch for Marina signs and the beach on the right. Just before crossing the Wailua River bridge, turn left into the Wailua Marina State Park.
- Wailua Area Shuttle Service: Complimentary shuttle available from Wailua area hotels & condos for luau guests.
- Transportation for select hotels and condos in Princeville is available for $25.00 per person. Please select during checkout.
- Cruise Ship Guests:
- Round-trip transportation is available for $15.00 per person. Please select during checkout.
- Bus departs the pier at 4:30 PM. Please arrive 10 minutes prior to departure time.