- Big Island Eco Tours
- Big Island Tours & Activities
- Big Island Volcano Tours
- Hawaii Volcano Tours
- Volcanoes National Park
UPDATED 2022: Description of activity subject to change without notice due to new limitations and updated capacities. Thank you.
- March-May: Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday
- June-Onward: Monday and Saturday
- Tour Time: 8:00 AM
- Duration: 8 Hours
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park is the crown jewel of the Big Island. If your goal is primarily to experience it while on the island, try our Volcano Express Tour. This tour takes you straight to the volcano with minimal stops along the way, and maximizes your time in the park while minimizing time on the road.
This day time tour takes the south route. We first stop at Punalu’u Bake Shop and delight in fresh Hawaiian sweetbreads and malasadas before heading to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. A sacred place for native Hawaiians, this UNESCO World Heritage Site contains two of the world’s most active volcanoes-Kilauea and Mauna Loa. We’ll explore active steam vents, and view Kilauea and Kilauea Iki craters before taking a short hike through Thurston Lava Tube. We then travel to Hilo town where we’ll visit and enjoy the splendid sights of Rainbow Falls.
- English-speaking driver/guide
- Mercedes 15 passenger mini-coach. This tour has a maximum of 13 passengers to provide plenty of headroom in the cabin and comes with state-of-the-art audio and visual public address package.
- Deli Style Lunch
- Snack Basket
- Bottled water, bottled juice, soda, and hot beverage.
- Umbrellas, rain, and parka jackets in the event of rain*
*Weather can change dramatically from hot and humid to cool and wet conditions.
- We recommend bringing a backpack, sunscreen, and a camera.
- What to Wear: Comfortable and light clothing is recommended, such as comfortable footwear, a hat and sunglasses, and shorts or long pants. Although Hawaii is home to the endless summer, there are places and times where the temperature can drop substantially. We recommend you pack a light sweater.
- This tour is for guests 5 years and older. It does not include lengthy hikes.
- This tour is not recommended for women who are pregnant or may be pregnant.
- Passengers traveling with a wheelchair or walker are more than welcome to join our tour. Please note, our vans are equipped to handle easy storage of a wheelchair or other medical equipment. But we do not have a wheelchair lift.
- A combined minimum of 4 guests is required for a tour to operate. Should a tour not meet the tour minimum, advance notice will be provided.
- Tour description and itinerary is subject to change. Due to the topographical and weather changes that have recently affected the tour area, some attractions and sites may be unreachable or unsafe to visit. Park officials have recently reopened Hawaii Volcanoes National Park with several restrictions as they continue to make repairs. Park officials have been known to restrict entry without notice. Kailani Tours Hawaii will not issue refunds caused by park restrictions.
Location: Target in Kona
Address: 74-5455 Makala Blvd, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
Pick-Up Instructions: We’ll pick you up at 7:45 AM from Target in Kailua-Kona – Please wait for your guide at Kona Commons Target, in the parking lot near McDonald’s.
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled pick-up time and allow a 5-minute window for your driver to arrive.
- Lunch is included in the tour, but Kailani Tours recommends having a hearty breakfast prior to departure. Snacks and drinks are available multiple times throughout the tour.
Grab-and-Go Express Lunch:
- Hot and cold drink service, gourmet snack basket, and a grab-and-go turkey wrap with chips, and a cookie served at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.
*Seasonal menu is subject to change.
*Vegan and vegetarian options available.
- 7:45 AM-8:00 AM – All Kona/Keauhou Hotel Pick Ups meet at Target in Kona
- 9:30 AM-10:00 AM – Punalu’u Bake Shop + Restroom Break
- 10:45 AM-12:15 PM – Hawaii Volcanoes National Park – Chain of Craters Road Lookouts, Steam Vents, Thurston Lava Tubes, and views of the New Halemau’mau Crater. Grab-and-Go express lunch included
- 12:15 PM-1:15 PM – Kilauea Caldera Daytime Eruption (Eruption Permitting)
- 2:00 PM-2:30 PM – Rainbow Falls + Restroom Break
- 4:15 PM (Approx.) – Kona Target Return
Timing, Locations and Menu Subject to Change