- Big Island Eco Tours
- Big Island Tours & Activities
- Big Island Volcano Tours
- Hawaii Volcano Tours
- Island Tours in Big Island
- Volcanoes National Park
UPDATED 2021: Description of activity subject to change without notice due to new limitations and updated capacities. Thank you.
- Availability: Wednesday and Friday
- Tour Time: 8:15 AM
- Duration: 10 Hours 30 Minutes
Discover the source of Hawaii Island’s creation at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park! Explore cascading waterfalls, craters, and the tsunami-stricken city of Hilo on this comprehensive volcano adventure tour. Bear witness to the 2018 eruption that drastically altered the island’s landscape. Peer into the depths of Halemaumau Crater which has remarkably doubled in size and watch steam clouds form as ground water seeps onto hot volcanic rock at the famous Steam Vents.
Enjoy an included picnic lunch at off-shore Coconut Island. Marvel at not one by two spectacular waterfalls – Rainbow and Akaka Falls. Gaze at sweeping coastal views at Kealakomo Overlook where older lava flows melted into the ocean. Stroll barren Devastation Trail to see evidence of Kilauea’s eruption in 1959 and drive down scenic Chain of Craters Road.
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Halema’uma’u Crater – viewed from Volcano House; remarkably changed since June 2018
- Kilauea Visitor Center – park updates & educational displays
- Steam Vents – ground water seeps down to hot volcanic rocks forming steam clouds
- Kilauea Iki Overlook – smaller pit crater next to main Kilauea caldera
- Chain of Craters Road – scenic drive; sections covered by lava in 2018 Kilauea eruption
- Kealakomo Overlook – sweeping coastal views, expansive view of lava fields
- Devastation Trail – stroll down a paved path to see the evidence of the 1959 Kilauea eruption
- Rainbow Falls – waterfall cascades to a pool below, rainbows magically form in the mist
- Akaka Falls – Set in a rainforest filled with bamboo groves, orchids and hanging ferns Akaka Falls is a must see.
- Hilo Town – Including Banyan Drive, Richardson’s Black Sand Beach & Liliuokalani Gardens
- Round-Trip Transportation in Comfortable Air-Conditioned Vehicle
- Live Narration From Expert Driver Guide
- Admission to Volcanoes National Park
- Picnic Lunch
- Admissions to all Parks
- Please wear comfortable attire and sturdy, closed-toe shoes as this tour traverses sharp, uneven lava surfaces.
- Bring a light sweater or jacket.
- Fumes (volcanic gasses) are hazardous to everyone’s health.
- We discourage visitors with heart or breathing problems and infants, young children, and pregnant women are especially at risk and should avoid being in areas where fumes persist.
- If you require any special accommodations due to disability, please include them under the special requirements at the time of booking. 48 hours notice required prior to the date and time of service.
- We cannot predict the weather or lava viewing conditions. This volcano tour features change daily. We do not guarantee the sighting of active lava flows. Surface lava may be present but may not be viewable due to environmental conditions or time constraints.
Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled departure time and allow a 5-minute window for your driver to arrive.
Pick up Schedule:
- 8:15 AM – GRAND NANILOA – DOUBLETREE BY HILTON (Roadside bus terminal)
- 8:15 AM – HILO HAWAIIAN BY CASTLE RESORTS (by Babe Ruth banyan tree)
- 8:15 AM – HILO SEASIDE HOTEL (by Road-side)
- 8:15 AM – HILO AIRPORT (Baggage Claim)