UPDATED 2021: Description of activity subject to change without notice due to new limitations and updated capacities. Thank you.
- Availability: Monday-Saturday (closed Sundays)
- Tour Times: Varies from 3:00 AM to 4:00 AM
- January-February: 4:00 AM
- March-April: 3:30 AM
- May-September: 3:00 AM
- October-November: 3:30 AM
- December: 4:00 AM
- Duration: Approximately 8 Hours
Tour of Haleakala National Park and GUIDED bike ride down Haleakala. Tour and transportation up to the summit of Haleakala, watch sunrise at summit, and view the crater. Stage at 6500 feet, just outside park. Guided bike ride down Haleakala with the comfort of having a cruise leader guiding you and your group and an escort van for your convenience.
- Pick up at your hotel or cruise ship (select option for transportation at checkout – SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY)
- Vehicle tour up to summit of Haleakala
- View sunrise at Haleakala crater
- Bike ride begins outside park entrance at 6,500 ft
- Exhilarating 23 mile guided bike ride down mountain*
- Bikers final stop in haiku
- Return transportation to hotel or cruise ship
*The bike route is a 23mile ride down Haleakala. On average, our Sunrise tours finish up around 10:30am. We will allow about 30 minutes for breakfast upon return to the base.
- KONA® mountain bikes: Designed for downhill biking with hydraulic disc brakes
- DAKINE® backpacks
- Helly Hansen® rain gear
- Bell® helmets
- Map and directions
Recommendation/What to Bring:
- Closed-toe shoes
- Layered clothing
- Sweatshirt or jacket
- Sweatpants or jeans (comfortable, no bell bottoms)
- A knit cap or hat
- Sunglasses or regular prescription glasses
- Day pack (to store belongings in the vehicle)
- Small snacks
ALL BIKE RIDERS MUST
- Understand and acknowledge the risks involved in such an activity and sign a risk acknowledgment form before riding
- Be 12 years old or older
- Have recent bike riding experience
- Be over 4’10” tall
- Be physically capable of enduring this outdoor activity
- Be free of any medications that may cause drowsiness
- Not be pregnant
- Not weigh over 270 lbs
- Wear closed-toe shoes
Location: Bike Maui Headquarters
Address: 810 HAIKU ROAD #120, HAIKU, MAUI, HAWAII 96708
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/3qg9g9n6sKSkQMQp8
ABOUT THE NATIONAL PARK
Haleakala Bike Company dba Bike Maui is the only bike company to hold a concession contract with the National Park Service, allowing them to provide tours of Haleakalā National Park. Entrance into Haleakala National park is included. So that means you do get a trip to the very Summit of Haleakala, where you will have a chance to see the crater and visit Haleakala National Park Visitors Center at the Summit. See our Maui bike tours.
The Summit of Haleakala is at 10,000ft. and it’s said that you lose 3 degrees per 1,000 ft. you climb so at that elevation it will always be chilly. For the Sunrise hours it can even be freezing. Sunrise temperatures can get into the 30s and if during our Day trips, temperatures will be approximately in the 60s. The summit however will have a different temperature than the base of Haleakala which would be in the 80s when you finish.
HOW TO DRESS
Dress appropriately for the cold weather at the summit. While we provide rain gear for the summit, most people are more comfortable with a few extra layers. A sweatshirt and long pants are recommended. But you’ll want to have some layers under that. That will keep you warm at the summit, but allow you to shed your layers as you make your way down the mountain and encounter warmer temperatures.
Items we recommend to keep you comfortable throughout the tour:
- Long Pants
- Fleece Vest
- Closed-toe shoes
- Sunglasses or Prescription Eyewear
For Drive Outs:
- Coming from the South side of Maui Wailea/Makena it should take about an hour to get to Haiku.
- From Kihei, 45 minutes.
- On the West side, from Lahaina it’s about a 1 hours drive.
- From Kaanapali 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- From Kapalua 1 hour 30 minutes.
*** TRANSPORTATION IS LIMITED TO SELECT HOTELS – SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY ***
Pick-up And Drop Off Options:
We have resort and cruise ship pick-up options available for the Sunrise guided bike tour. Pick-up is available with all guided trips, but you can save by driving-in to our shop!
Guests will be picked up in our Haleakala Ecotours bus.
A return trip is included with the paid pickup option. Please ask our staff for return time information. We want to accommodate all our guests, so Returns will occur once all riders finish their activity.
The bike route is a 23mile ride down Haleakala. On average, our Sunrise tours finish up around 10:30am. We will allow about 30 minutes for breakfast upon return to the base.
- CRUISE SHIP PICK-UP
- CENTRAL/NORTH SHORE
- Cruise Ship – Kahului Harbor*
- Lahaina Harbor*
*Check your Cruise Ship dock times and tender availability