- Big Island Eco Tours
- Big Island Tours & Activities
- Big Island Volcano Tours
- Hawaii Volcano Tours
- Island Tours in Big Island
- KapohoKine Adventures
UPDATED 2021: Description of activity subject to change without notice due to new limitations and updated capacities. Thank you.
- Availability: Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday
- Tour Time: 10:00 AM
- Duration: 11 Hours (approx.)
Evening Volcano Explorer Kona and Waikoloa Departures
Travel south into Kona coffee country for the first stop at Bay View Farm, a working 24 acre coffee farm nestled on the slopes of Mauna Loa Volcano just above beautiful Kealakekua Bay and known for the best Kona coffee since 1984. Here you’ll see coffee growing on the trees and learn about the various steps and processes in making coffee, all of which happen right here on the farm. You’ll sample 100% Kona Coffee at a gorgeous overlook with stunning views of Kealakekua Bay and the monument to Captain Cook standing on the only sliver of British land in the United States. The adventure continues as you head through the South Kona and Ka’u Districts. Stunning views, alternating between stark lava flows and Hawaiian dry forest, are visible through the huge picture windows of your tour vehicle.
We stop briefly at Punalu’u Bake Shop, the southern most bakery in America. Offering the finest time-honored Hawaiian sweetbreads since 1991, the Bake Shop offers an array of breads and cookies. Shortly thereafter, you’ll arrive at picturesque Punalu’u Black Sand Beach. Lined with swaying coconut palm trees, this is one of the best black sand beaches on the island. Stroll along the beach and look for honu (Green Hawaiian Sea Turtles) feeding just offshore or sun-worshipping on the sand. Picnic-style lunch will be served here weather permitting.
Next travel to the crown jewel of the Big Island, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Visit the Kilauea Visitor’s Center, the Volcano Art Center, and famed Sulphur Banks. Take a hike out to Keanakako’i Crater and step over the sinkholes and cracks in the roads left behind the historic 2018 eruption here, then on to Mauna Ulu. One of the most culturally sensitive locations in the Park you will see a landscape at Mauna Ulu like no other on Earth. Photo ops abound here, and the closer you look the more unusual and striking shapes and fascinating colors you will see. Take a quick break at Volcano House, welcoming guests such as Mark Twain and Jack London to Kilauea since 1864. Enjoy the views or check out there gift shop.
What to Expect on the Ultimate Volcano National Park Explorer?
Moderate air temperatures at sea level with cooler temperatures at higher elevations; occasional rain showers; strenuous hike across uneven and steep, rocky terrain including black lava rock; red lava cannot be guaranteed on this Big Island volcano tour.
- Deli-style picnic
- Entrance fees included
- Round-trip transportation from the Kohala area.
- Comfortable hiking clothes (shorts are ok), light jacket or sweater, sunglasses, and hat.
- Comfortable walking shoes required (sandals and flip-flops or “slippahs” will not be accepted).
- Guests under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- All children under 7 are required to be in a car seat.
- All participants must complete electronic waivers prior to participation.
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to the scheduled pick-up time.
- Volcanic activity changes constantly and cannot be guaranteed.
- Pickup from Hilo hotels is not offered on Kona tours.
- The order of the itinerary may change.
- Tour runs rain or shine.
- Turkey Sandwich
- Ham Sandwich
- Roast Beef Sandwich
- Veggie Sandwich
- Club Sandwich
- Cobb Salad
- Chef Salad
- Chicken Cesar Salad
- Veggie Salad
- Veggie Wrap & Fries: Guacamole, Cucumber, Bell Peppers, Lettuce, Tomato, onion, sprouts in an herb tortilla
- Chinese Chicken Salad: Tossed greens and fresh veggies with seasoned chicken and chow Mein noodles served with house dressing: Creamy Oriental
- Quarter Pounder Burger & Fries: Local Grass-fed quarter lb beef patty Served on a toasted sesame bun with lettuce, tomato & onion
- Loco Moco: Local Grass-fed beef patty Served on a bed of rice topped with an over easy egg smothered in brown gravy
- Kalua Pork Plate: Hawaiian Style Pulled Pork served with white rice and potato/mac salad
*Menu Options Include water, iced tea, or coffee