- Big Island Eco Tours
- Big Island Hiking & Climbing
- Big Island Tours & Activities
- Big Island Volcano Tours
- Hawaii Volcano Tours
- Hiking & Climbing
- Mauna Kea
- Volcanoes National Park
UPDATED 2021: Description of activity subject to change without notice due to new limitations and updated capacities. Thank you.
- Availability: Monday, Tuesday, and Friday
- Tour Time: 7:00 AM
- Duration: 11 Hours (approx.)
Our most active experience – the Volcano Hiking Adventure! Join us on our most exploratory volcano adventure. Journey over Saddle Road, take a short walk up a cinder cone before dropping down Kaumana Caves in Hilo. Leaving Hilo, trek into Hawaii Volcanoes National Park at Kilauea. At the summit, we’ll check out a few of the “hot” spots at Kilauea Caldera, the steam vents at the rim, and the visitor center. We’ll fuel up with a quick deli-style lunch before we discover Chain of Craters Road, hike Kilauea Iki, and take in the sights at Holei Sea Arch. Before our return over Saddle Road, take in the splendor of Rainbow Falls and relax after an incredible day at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. This tour provides Kailani Tours’ amenities with a true focus on being active, interacting with volcano attractions, and maximizing a full day on tour.
Our hikes on this tour are as follows:
- Pu’uhuluhulu Cinder Cone at Mauna Kea Access Road – 20 min.
- Kilauea Iki Trail/Thurston Lava Tube (Hawaii Volcanoes National Park) – 2 hours minimum (1 hour minimum of hiking)
- Devastation Trail (Hawaii Volcanoes National Park) – 30 min
Points of Interest:
- Mauna Kea
- Mauna Loa
- Kaumana Caves
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Kilauea Caldera
- Chain of Craters Road
- Visitor Center
- Steam Vents
- Kilauea Iki
- Mauna Ulu
- Thurston Lava Tube
- Holei Sea Arch
- Rainbow Falls
- Saddle Road.
*Locations Subject to Change
- English-speaking driver/guide
- Mercedes 15 passenger mini-coach. This tour has a maximum of 13 passengers to provide plenty of headroom in the cabin and comes with state-of-the-art audio and visual public address package.
- Picnic-Style Gourmet Lunch
- Gourmet Snack Basket
- Hiking stick, day backpacks, and binoculars
- Hot and cold towel service
- Bottled water, bottled juice, soda, and hot beverage.
- Umbrellas, rain, and parka jackets in the event of rain
- We recommend bringing a Backpack (we provide a day pack, but you may bring your own if you’d like), sunscreen, a camera, and a change of clothing. We will be out in the elements for several hours on tour.
- What to Wear: Although Hawaii is home to the endless summer, there are places and times where the temperature can drop substantially. Weather can change dramatically from hot and humid to cool and wet conditions.
- Kailani Tours Hawaii recommends wearing comfortable footwear, a hat and sunglasses, and shorts or long pants. Comfortable and light clothing is recommended.
- This tour is for guests 8 years and older. It includes a number of hikes to and from several sites.
- This tour is not recommended for women who are pregnant or may be pregnant.
- Passengers traveling with a wheelchair or walker are more than welcome to join our tour. Please note, our vans are equipped to handle easy storage of a wheelchair or other medical equipment and have also installed an extra hydraulic side step for extra easy on and off for all riders. But we do not have a wheelchair lift.
- A combined minimum of 4 guests is required for a tour to operate. Should a tour not meet the tour minimum, customers will have the option to reschedule or receive a full refund. Advance notice will be provided.
- Hiking locations are subject to change depending upon weather conditions and volcanic activity level.
- Due to the topographical and weather changes that have recently affected the tour area, some attractions and sites may be unreachable or unsafe to visit. Park officials have recently reopened Hawaii Volcanoes National Park with several restrictions as they continue to make repairs. Park officials have been known to restrict entry without notice. Kailani Tours Hawaii will not issue refunds caused by park restrictions.
Location: Pick-up included from selected hotels. Please see the Transportation tab for details.
Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled activity time.
No pre-selections are required for reservation.
** Please note dietary restrictions.**
**Vegetarian, and vegan options available on request.**
Lunch is included on this tour. Meals are served individually to comply with sanitary/COVID
- Gourmet Snack Basket:
Assorted chips, crackers, granola bars, cookies, and fruit snacks.
Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Breast fanned over Sesame-Grilled Vegetables and Ginger-Herb Quinoa.
Served with Hawaiian Sweet Roll and Butter, Kona Lava Bar Brownie.
Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled departure time and allow a 5-minute window for your driver to arrive.
- 6:15 AM – Keauhou Shopping Center (Optional Central Meeting Area)
- 6:45 AM – Target- Kona (Parking Lot near McDonalds)
- 7:10 AM – Four Seasons Resort Hualalai (Outside Main Entrance)
- 7:30 AM – Queen’s Marketplace (Meet at the Back Parking Lot at the Shuttle Pickup waiting area by Charley’s Thai Cuisine)
- 6:30 AM (approx) – Kona and Keauhou Central Pick Up
- 7:10 AM-7:30 AM – Waikoloa and Kohala Central Pick Up
- 8:30 AM-9:15 AM – Gilbert Kahele Recreation Area *Mid-Morning Snack
- 9:45 AM-10:15 AM – Kaumana Caves Adventure – Descend into an 1881 Mauna Loa Lava Tube
- 11:00 AM-1:00 PM – Hawaii Volcanoes National Park – Visitor Center, Kilauea Overlook, and Steam Vents. Kilauea Iki Hike
- 1:00 PM-3:00 PM – Chain of Craters Road, Holei Sea Arch, and Thurston Lava Tube
- (Nahuku) *Deli-Style Lunch Served
- 3:45 PM-4:15 PM – Rainbow Falls – Iconic Hilo Waterfall
- 5:30 PM (approx.) – Waikoloa and Kohala Central Drop Off
- 6:30 PM (approx.) – Kona and Keauhou Centra Drop Off