- Big Island Eco Tours
- Big Island Hiking & Climbing
- Big Island Tours & Activities
- Big Island Volcano Tours
- Hawaii Volcano Tours
- Hiking & Climbing
- Private Tours
- Volcanoes National Park
UPDATED 2021: Description of activity subject to change without notice due to new limitations and updated capacities. Thank you.
- Availability: Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.
- Tour Times: 7:30 AM
- Duration: 12 Hours (approx.)*
*Travel time from most resorts is approx. 6 hrs round-trip.
UPGRADE to an affordable Private Ohana Tour and experience “Volcano Unveiled” exclusively with your family or small group.
An in-depth volcano experience on the Island of Hawaii is offered by Hawaii Forest & Trail. Your National Park Certified Guide will share a mix of natural and cultural history about the island’s formation, illuminating the stories behind the ever-changing landscape of our island home.
- On this in-depth park experience, your interpretive guide will illuminate the historical events that changed the landscape of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.
- Enjoy 2-3 miles of hiking around the park’s dynamic terrain.
- We’ll visit a large private lava tube known for its bright yellow and gold microbial mats living on the cave walls. This lava tube is only accessible to Hawaii Forest & Trail guests.
- Enjoy a stop at world-famous Rainbow Falls in Hilo.
- National Park entrance fees
- Snacks, beverages, Deli-style lunch, Dinner
- Gear – Walking sticks, flashlights, and rain ponchos.
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Long pants
- Reusable water bottle
- Light jacket
- Tour is for ages 8 years and older
- Minimum 4 participants, Maximum of 9 participants
- Guests should be able to hike on uneven or rocky terrain and we may encounter cool, wet, or muddy conditions.
- Other tour restrictions may apply.
- Rated: Easy to Moderate
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled pick-up time.
- For pick-up Location – Subway Keaau: Please be aware your tour length will be approximately 7 to 8 hours total in duration due to your pick-up location being closer in proximity to both our private lava tube & Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Additionally, due to the tour itinerary, you will be unable to view Rainbow Falls. Mahalo!
- Hawaii Forest & Trail Kona Headquarters – 7:30 AM
- Four Seasons Resort Hualalai (front entrance) – 7:50 AM
- Queens’ Market Place (Look For Charlie’s Thai Cuisine, and we’ll be at the curb!) – 8:10 AM
- Shops at Mauna Lani (front of Foodland Store) – 8:20 AM
- Subway Keaau (Parking lot) – 10:50 AM* **
*Kindly park in the stalls parallel to Old Volcano Road.
**TOUR TIMING -Please be aware your tour length will be approximately 7 to 8 hours total in duration due to your pick-up location being closer in proximity to both our private lava tube & Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Additionally, due to the tour itinerary, you will be unable to view Rainbow Falls. Mahalo!
Note: Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled pick-up time. Please be on time as these pick ups determine when we start our tours. Mahalo