UPDATED 2021: Description of activity subject to change without notice due to new limitations and updated capacities. Thank you.
Is your snorkeling date between September 15 – November 18, November 28 – December 16, & January 9, 2023 – February 28, 2023? You’re on the right page!
For snorkel between November 19 – November 27, & December 17, 2022 – January 8, 2023, please click here for PEAK SEASON tickets.
- Availability: Daily (September 15 – November 18, November 28 – December 16, & January 9, 2023 – February 28, 2023)*
- Tour Times: 7:30 AM
- Duration: 6 Hours (approx)
Choosing your Molokini snorkeling boat is a delightful decision to make, and a tour with the Calypso is one of the most fun on Maui! This stable, high-speed, triple-decker catamaran will get you to two snorkel sites fast: Molokini Crater and Turtle Town, and with all the equipment you need and plenty of food on board, what more could you ask for?
The Calypso leaves from Ma’alaea Harbor, and after you are welcomed aboard by your friendly crew, you can take a look at the delicious hearty breakfast. After everyone is settled in, it’s off to the most popular underwater destination in Maui for some Molokini snorkeling! While you are enjoying the feel of the ocean wind in your hair, from December through April, watch the horizon for the incredible humpback whales!
This boat is so stable, you may feel as though you’re on an airplane rather than an ocean-going vessel. Keep in mind that the higher the deck, the more motion there is. Think about those rocking toys that you punch, and they bounce right back to you. The top of the toy moves more than the base, right? There’s a lot less motion involved when you’re riding the Calypso, of course, but now you can see which of our three gorgeous decks is the most rockin’! Now, let’s tell you about the two snorkeling sites you’ll visit.
Molokini Crater is located between the islands of Maui and Kaho’olawe. This beautiful site is not only home to several fish species, but many species of birds, as well! The crater is a designated Marine Life Conservation District and bird preserve, so no fishing or climbing on the crater is allowed, but wearing flippers and a mask to watch the fish is perfectly wonderful.
The inner curve of the crater shelters a huge reef where the visibility is often more than 100 feet – just perfect for Molokini snorkeling! Fish of all kinds will swim by, busily conducting their beautiful business. While you are exploring, there is a chance you’ll see parrotfish, black triggerfish, and longnose butterflyfish. And an underwater photographer will be swimming in the mix, too, to capture you and your friends discovering one of the coolest places on the planet!
Even if you have never snorkeled before, or you are not a strong swimmer, you can still snorkel with the Calypso: the crew will patiently instruct you in the use of their snorkel gear. In addition to the essential mask, fins, and snorkel sets, the boat also offers prescription masks and comfortable flotation devices. You can also rent a wetsuit to help you keep warm, and rent an underwater camera to bring home shots of the amazing animals you’ll see!
If you don’t want to snorkel, or swim, Calypso has a glass bottom in one section of the boat, so you can watch your friends watch the fish. And if you decide to join them later for your own Molokini snorkeling experience, reaching the water is simple. Wide staircases are lowered through the water’s surface, so all you need to do is walk down the stairs. If you’d rather go express, this boat also has two water slides and a second deck jumping-off point. Oh, wow!
After your Molokini snorkeling, Calypso will whisk you to Turtle Town – a second snorkeling spot. Off the south side of Maui, Turtle Town is home to several large sea turtles as well as dynamic reef fish. Lunch will be served at this time. Water, sodas, and juice are available all day long. And just when you think the trip couldn’t possibly get better, they come around with chocolate chip cookies.
Book this epic tour for you and your family today!
All snorkel spots are visited weather permitting. If Molokini snorkeling conditions are less than ideal, Coral Gardens off the west side of Maui is usually the Captain’s next choice.
**Food not included for free kids. Must purchase child’s ticket to include food.
- Deli Lunch
- Ice Water, Chilled Soda, and Hot Tea.
- Professional, friendly, safety-oriented, experienced captain and crew
- Informative and historical narrative
- Top-quality snorkel gear
- Optional wetsuit and underwater digital camera rentals
- Flotation devices
- Plenty of Jimmy Buffet music
- Glass-bottom viewing room
- Shady cabin and upper deck
- 3 Clean Restrooms
- 11-Easy stairways in and out of the water
- 2 water slides (1st & 2nd deck slides)!
- Jumping platform on the second deck
- Fresh water showers
Location: Ma’alaea Harbor, Slip #82
Address: South Ferry Dock, 101 Maalaea Rd, Wailuku, HI 96793
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/iVGq13dS8WgCFubR9
Parking: Parking is $0.50/hour. Pay for 6 hours ($3.00)*. You can pay in cash or with a credit card.
*Parking rates are subject to change without notice
Check-in: Please check in 45 Minutes prior to your tour time.
- Guests need to fill out the Liability Waiver before checking in, or check-in may be delayed.
- All special food requests must be received at least 24 hours before your scheduled tour.
- All Snorkel Spots Are Determined Daily Weather Permitting. If Molokini Snorkeling Conditions Are Unsafe or Less Than Ideal, ‘The Coral Gardens’ is usually the Captain’s next choice. Please Understand and Respect Captain’s Decision on Snorkel Locations – In You & Your Parties Best Interest.
- Assorted Tropical Mixed Fruit which may include pineapple, strawberries, cantaloupe, and honeydew melon.
- Assorted Muffins usually consist of blueberry, poppyseed, and chocolate muffins.
- Assorted Pastries.
Your choice of:
- Roasted Pulled Pork Sandwich w/ BBQ Sauce
- Croissant deli sandwich which may include Roast Beef, Ham, or Chicken.
- Quinoa Salad (vegetarian option)*
- Assorted Chips
- Large delicious Chocolate Chip Cookie
- Juices – Passion, Orange, Guava Juice, pineapple, orange, cranberry, and lemonade.
- Soft Drinks – Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, ginger ale.
- Hilo Brewery beer – Humpback Lager, Red Ale & Tsunami IPA.
- Alcoholic Beverages** – We carry rum, light rum, vodka, tequila, and whiskey. The tropical favorite Mai Tai is our #1 request. Rum and coke, screwdrivers, and special requests are also available.
- Hot Coffee/Tea
*Dietary Restrictions: Vegetarian & Gluten-Free meals can be made available only upon request when booking reservations.
**Alcoholic drinks are available for purchase for $2.00.