Choosing your Molokini snorkeling boat is a delightful decision to make, and a tour with the Calypso is one of the most fun on Maui! This stable, high-speed, triple-decker catamaran will get you to two snorkel sites fast: Molokini Crater and Turtle Town, and with all the equipment you need and plenty of food on board, what more could you ask for?
The Calypso leaves from Ma’alaea Harbor, and after you are welcomed aboard by your friendly crew, you can take a look at the delicious hearty breakfast. After everyone is settled in, it’s off to the most popular underwater destination in Maui for some Molokini snorkeling! While you are enjoying the feel of the ocean wind in your hair, from December through April, watch the horizon for the incredible humpback whales!
This boat is so stable, you may feel as though you’re on an airplane rather than an ocean-going vessel. Keep in mind that the higher the deck, the more motion there is. Think about those rocking toys that you punch, and they bounce right back to you. The top of the toy moves more than the base, right? There’s a lot less motion involved when you’re riding the Calypso, of course, but now you can see which of our three gorgeous decks is the most rockin’! Now, let’s tell you about the two snorkeling sites you’ll visit.
Molokini Crater is located between the islands of Maui and Kaho’olawe. This beautiful site is not only home to several fish species, but many species of birds, as well! The crater is a designated Marine Life Conservation District and bird preserve, so no fishing or climbing on the crater is allowed, but wearing flippers and a mask to watch the fish is perfectly wonderful.
The inner curve of the crater shelters a huge reef where the visibility is often more than 100 feet – just perfect for Molokini snorkeling! Fish of all kinds will swim by, busily conducting their beautiful business. While you are exploring, there is a chance you’ll see parrotfish, black triggerfish, and longnose butterflyfish. And an underwater photographer will be swimming in the mix, too, to capture you and your friends discovering one of the coolest places on the planet!
Even if you have never snorkeled before, or you are not a strong swimmer, you can still snorkel with the Calypso: the crew will patiently instruct you in the use of their snorkel gear. In addition to the essential mask, fins, and snorkel sets, the boat also offers prescription masks and comfortable flotation devices. You can also rent a wetsuit to help you keep warm, and rent an underwater camera to bring home shots of the amazing animals you’ll see!
If you don’t want to snorkel, swim, or snuba, Calypso has a glass bottom in one section of the boat, so you can watch your friends watch the fish. And if you decide to join them later for your own Molokini snorkeling experience, reaching the water is simple. Wide staircases are lowered through the water’s surface, so all you need to do is walk down the stairs. If you’d rather go express, this boat also has two water slides and a second deck jumping-off point. Oh, wow!
After your Molokini snorkeling, Calypso will whisk you to Turtle Town – a second snorkeling spot. Off the south side of Maui, Turtle Town is home to several large sea turtles as well as dynamic reef fish. A barbecue lunch with vegetarian options will be served at this time, and water, sodas, and juice are available all day long. And just when you think the trip couldn’t possibly get better, they come around with chocolate chip cookies.
Book this epic tour for you and your family today!
All snorkel spots are visited weather permitting. If Molokini snorkeling conditions are less than ideal, Coral Gardens off the west side of Maui is usually the Captain’s next choice.
- Glass-bottom viewing windows
- Shady cabin and upper deck
- Hearty breakfast with eggs, ham, cinnamon rolls, donuts, coffee, juice and fresh fruit
- BBQ lunch with your choice of chicken, pulled pork, or vegetarian entrees
- Ice-cold sodas and juice
- 3 restrooms
- Professional, friendly, safety oriented, experienced captain and crew
- Informative and historical narrative
- Top-quality snorkel gear
- Optional wetsuit and underwater digital camera rentals
- Flotation devices
- SNUBA (single dive) available for ages 8 and up (pay on board)
- Easy stairways into and out of the water
- 2 water slides
- Jumping-off point on the second deck
- Freshwater showers
- Plenty of Jimmy Buffet music
- Check In Time: 6:30 am.
- Departure Time: 7:15am.
- Return Time: Approx. 12:30pm.
- Breakfast includes ham/eggs, pastries, fruit, hot coffee, hot chocolate, hot tea, and juices.
- Vegetable tray served after first snorkel site.
- Lunch includes teriyaki glaze chicken sandwich or pulled pork BBQ sandwich, and macaroni salad. Vegetarian entrée available.
- Coke soda products, along with many juice options.
- Alcoholic drinks available for purchase for $2.00.
All special food requests must be received at least 24 hours before your scheduled tour.
- Departs from Ma’alaea Harbor, Slip #82.
- 101 Maalaea Boat Harbor Road, Wailuku HI 96793
- Parking: Parking is $0.50/hour. Pay for 6 hours ($3.00). You can pay cash or with credit card.