Have an unforgettable experience driving around Haleakala Volcano through the lush rainforest of East Maui with a private guide expert. Whether you prefer more sightseeing or activities, there are countless choices along the way, making our single day tours flexible with plenty to do. Please keep in mind, there are more activities provided then can be accomplished in a single day tour. You will be given the option of Hana & Back Rainforest Tour, Full Road to Hana (Loop), or Hidden Gems in Hana (Less time in the car and more time exploring!):
For more activities in the rainforest only, on smooth windy roads, Hana & Back is your best choice with numerous waterfalls for viewing and picture taking on the Road to Hana, stunning mountainside and ocean views.
- Explore Waikamoi, Pua’aka’a, Hanawi, upper Waikani, and other waterfalls on the Road to Hana.
- Hike to hidden waterfalls.
- Explore a bamboo forest (weather permitting).
- View the never seen before, painterly Rainbow Eucalyptus trees (an uncommon eucalyptus tree that’s originally from islands north of Australia).
- Visit the peninsula town of Keanae for a unique and stunning lava rock coastline with ocean currents crashing against the lava rock walls. And tasty banana bread and smoothies at Aunt Sandy’s.
- Take a dip and a jump at Ching’s Pond.
- Stop at Coconut Glenn’s for the best homemade coconut ice-cream.
- Discover local exotic black sand beaches and red sand beaches.
- Venture into a unique lava tube with headlights!
- Take the road less travelled to a local historical town in the lush jungle for a leisurely walk to a hidden waterfall (seasonal) and panoramic coastline views. And Nahiku market as an option for
- Visit Kahanu Gardens & Pi’ilanihale Heiau, a national historic landmark believed to be the largest ancient temple in the Hawaiian Islands (entree fee per person/optional).
- Visit some of the largest and most impressive lava tubes in Hawaii (entree fee per person).
- Explore a lava tube on a black sand seashore and freshwater sea caves at Wainapanapa.
- Arrive in Hana for excellent lunch choices and Hawaiian snacks from local gourmet food trucks, stands and Hana Farms.
- Visit two of our favorite local beaches.
- Potentially discover giant resting Green Sea Turtles!
For Full Road to Hana Loop (clockwise or counter clockwise), less time in the rainforest with activities above, while making our way to the more leeward side of the island with rugged narrow windy roads that transition to the roller coaster smooth paved, Piilani Highway, after about an hour, for sight-seeing predominantly. A remarkable contrast of cliffside driving
with spectacular ocean views, the backside of Haleakala Volcano with panoramic views of the volcano, sprawling landscapes, and the Kaupo Gap! It’s a completely different experience for those that appreciate such diversity along the way, while making our way back home through the beautiful upcountry area of Kula for views of neighboring islands, Kaho’olawe, Lanai, U- shaped snorkeling isle of Molokini, and Iao Valley Mountains. Additional highlights to the full loop:
- Local jumping pool – where fresh water meets the sea water!
- Wailua Falls (largest waterfall on Hana Rd).
- Hidden 80 ft waterfall (seasonal.)
- Aviator, Charles Lindbergh’s grave.
For Hidden Gems in Hana, spend less time in the car and more time exploring hidden gems, including waterfalls and beaches to unwind in and enjoy vs. being time sensitive to road travel and the most popular destination spots. Numerous Hidden Gems activities are for experienced hikers Or active types.
- Days: Everyday
- Tour Times: Morning Departure
- Duration: Approx. 10-11 Hours
A cooler with water, towels, if need, head lights, underwater lights, umbrellas, reef safe sunblock, mosquito repellant, first aid kit, pair of walking sticks, coconut opener, hand wipes, hand sanitizer, Dramamine, paper towels and other necessities. For half day hikes, a backpack, extra light pack and a drypack.
- Bring as little as possible!
- Necessities are sturdy shoes for hikes and crossing waterfall streams. Preferably all in one shoes for adventures and getting wet, such as Chacos, Tevas, Keens OR simple reef shoes and tennis shoes.
- If you plan on swimming, best to wear your bathing suit under your clothes. If staying at a hotel, bring hotel towels.
- You may want to bring your cameras/phones, hats, sunglasses and environmentally safe sunblock (Sunscreens without Oxybenzone and Octinoxate).
- For half day hiking adventures, reusable water containers and a light pack or backpack.
- This tour is best suited for parties of 1-6 people.
- Wailea Hotels
- Kahului Cruise Ship Harbor
- Kahului Park and Ride