- Haleakala National Park
- Hawaii Volcano Tours
- Hiking & Climbing
- Maui Hiking & Climbing
- Maui Tours & Activities
- Maui Volcano Tours
A visit to Maui is not complete without experiencing Haleakala Crater—a magnificent amphitheater of silence, and a place of beauty that always evokes awe. Our crater tour offers an adventure through two very different environments high up on this dormant volcano. On a clear day, it seems you can see forever.
Hike into both sides of Haleakala; each environment is very different from the other, so both should be experienced to gain a true appreciation for this natural phenomenon. Two-mile hike at the 10,000-foot summit where huge cinder cones dominate the desert-like, expansive scenery. Another two-mile hike at 8,000 ft. on a lava trail lined with rare native plant species. Views stretch for miles in all directions. Nutritious lunch and snacks included.
- Availability: Thursdays
- Tour Times: 9:30am
- Duration: 7 Hours (hotel transfers add time to the tour)
- Shoes to Wear on our Tours
- Running shoes are perfectly suitable. There’s no need to bring hiking boots unless you want to (they do take up a lot of suitcase space).
- Your shoes may get muddy, dirty, and/or wet on any of our hikes.
- Clothing for our Tours
- The weather is often cool or cold (the altitude is 10,000 feet); then it can warm up as you hike. So layered clothing is best, including a jacket, down vest, sweatshirt, or sweater. You guide will also carry extra jackets.
- Additional Items to Bring for the Day
- Towel: Waterfall trips include swimming (optional)
- Sunscreen: Helpful on any tour, but essential on the Haleakala Crater trip
- Camera & Phone: Please bring a Ziploc or a plastic bag to prevent any damage from moisture
- You are responsible for any personal equipment you choose to bring along
Restrictions and Requirements:
- 4 persons minimum to book – please call for bookings of 1-3 people
- $150 tip for groups of 7 or more
- Minimum age is 8
- We run our tours in most weather conditions, but reserve the right to alter tour parameters if safety issues arise.
- You will be required to sign a waiver on the day of the hike. Click here if you want to read our Participation Agreement.
Location: Kahului Park and Ride
- Complimentary hotel transfers included on availability basis only. Please inquire at booking.
- For drive-outs, please meet us at the Park and Ride in Kahului, located at the intersection of Highway 311 & Highway 380 in Kahului (a couple of miles from the airport). For a link to Google Maps, click here.
Additional Location Details:
- The Park & Ride meeting location is along a large concrete wall with a single row of parking facing Hwy 380 west of Hwy 311 just before entering Kahului.
- GPS – No physical address, but it is at the Intersection of Highways 311 & 380.
- Exact coordinates: 20 degrees, 52 minutes, 30 seconds north, 156 degrees, 27 minutes, 43 seconds west