UPDATED 2021: Description of activity subject to change without notice due to new limitations and updated capacities. Thank you.
- Availability: Daily
- Tour Time: 6:00 PM
- Duration: 30 Minutes
Every Sunset in Hawaii is Amazing. Fact!
However, there is something incredible about sunsets on the Big Island of Hawaii – especially seen from the Kona Coast. Join us on a truly remarkable flight that will take you from Kona Airport along the magnificent coastline during the “Golden Hour”. As the sun sets and we wait for the “Green Flash” you will be amazed at the vast array of reds, orange, purple and gold colors appearing in the sky. Experience the best sunset in the world while flying the historic Kona Coast.
- Guaranteed window seats for 3 passengers and your very own private pilot
- Doors-on or doors-off option (at no extra cost)
- Live tour commentary in English
- On a doors-on flight, we recommend that you wear dark outer layers to minimize reflection in the windows during photography. Because you are not exposed to the elements, whatever clothing you are comfortable with at sea level is adequate for your flight.
- An open-door experience is exciting and fun and we want you to enjoy your flight without being distracted by wind or chill. A warm outer layer that you can zip up, such as a windproof jacket, is ideal.
- If you are particularly prone to motion sickness, we do recommend that you prepare with oral motion‐sickness medication so you can enjoy your flight, free from worry. Please request an “Aloha Bag” from our pilot prior to takeoff or during the flight.
- The minimum age is 7 years old for doors-on tours and 12 years old for doors-off tours.
- This is a strictly private helicopter tour.
- Total weight per seat cannot exceed 275 pounds.
- Weight Limitations
- 3 Seat Helicopter:
- Max passenger weight of 275 lbs
- For groups of 3 passengers, no more than one person can be 200+ lbs
- 4 Seat Helicopter:
- Max passenger weight of 285 lbs
- For groups of 4 passengers, no more than two people can be 240+ lbs
- 3 Seat Helicopter:
- We strongly advise against wind-susceptible clothing such as dresses and hooded items. In winter, long pants are highly recommended.
- To keep you and your belongings safe, we cannot permit any loose objects on your doors-off flight. This includes hats, visors, scarves, hair clips, and strapless sandals.
- Eyeglasses are permissible. Hair that is long enough should be tied tightly with an elastic band. Any equipment must be secured to you via a strap.
- Routes or flight times may vary due to weather conditions. Mauna Loa Helicopters reserves the right to cancel any tour due to unsafe weather. If cancellation due to weather occurs prior to the flight, any money collected will be refunded. If the flight has begun and must be canceled due to weather within 10 minutes of takeoff, the tour price will be refunded in full. If the flight has exceeded 10 minutes, the passengers will be refunded for the percentage of the flight that did not take place.
- Customers who are sick inside the helicopter during flight will be charged a $100 cleaning fee.
- Please note that all body parts must remain inside the helicopter for the duration of the tour. We do not allow “foot selfies” or similar on our tours for safety reasons.
Location: Mauna Loa Helicopter at KOA Airport
Address: 73-310 Uu St, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
Google Maps: https://g.page/mauna-loa-helicopters-hawaii?share
Please park in the gravel parking lot.
Please arrive 30 minutes prior to your tour time.