- Big Island Helicopter Tours
- Big Island Tours & Activities
- Big Island Volcano Tours
- Hawaii Volcano Tours
- Helicopter Tours
UPDATED 2021: Description of activity subject to change without notice due to new limitations and updated capacities. Thank you.
- Availability: Daily
- Tour Times: Approx. 105 minutes before sunset
- Duration: 2 Hours 25 Minutes*
* Approx. 3-hour duration (includes 30 min check-in time, 1.9 – 2.35 hour flight time)
Our Sunset Experience is the perfect way to cap off a day in paradise. Depart from the Kona International Airport and head north in our comfortable Bell 407 tour helicopter. You’ll see the gorgeous beaches tucked away below lava fields along the Kona and Kohala Coasts. Next, you’ll venture to the far side of the Kohala Mountains, where a secluded and nearly inaccessible series of valleys awaits. Next, crest Mauna Loa, the world’s largest volcano, most recently active just 30 years ago. With the sun now behind the mountain, you’ll be able to better spot the glowing lava, as well as the magma lake within Halema‘uma‘u Crater. You’ll see Punalu‘u black sand beach and Papakōlea green sand beach, two of the most strikingly beautiful and exotic beaches in the world. As you pass over Pu‘uhonua ‘o Hōnaunau, a place of refuge under ancient Hawaiian law, and Kealakekua Bay where Capt. James Cook first came ashore in the 1700’s, the sun begins to set.
This is truly one of nature’s best shows. The sky will turn shades of bright yellow, deep orange, burning red and, occasionally, brilliant purple. The photos you’ve seen will pale in comparison with the real thing, and you’ll understand why even locals pause what they’re doing and turn to the western skies most evenings. If you’re lucky, you’ll see a green flash on the horizon as the sun slips down below. Don’t forget to turn around, as the last rays of light illuminate the clouds behind you. Before dark, the colors will fade to delicate pastel hues, a gentle postscript for nature’s masterwork.
- Kona and Kohala Coasts
- Kohala mountains and valleys
- Numerous waterfalls
- Mauna Loa, the world’s largest volcano
- Liquid hot magma
- Black and Green sand beaches
- Kealakekua Bay
- The Sunset
- The “Green Flash” when conditions are right
- Approx. 2.25 hours* total air tour flight time in Bell 407 helicopter
- Two-way communication between you, your pilot, and your group
- Paid parking
- Easy: Suitable for adults, children and seniors.
- Guests should not go SCUBA diving less than 24 hours before their flight departure time.
- Children under the age of two (2) fly free when seated in the lap of a paying adult – proof of age required for lap children under two (2). Children 24 months and over require an individual full-fare seat.
- Children must be at least 12 years old to sit next to an open door while aircraft is in flight.
- For passengers above 265 lbs., fees are charged during check out or at check-in. The guest will be guaranteed a window seat. All guests between 265 lbs – 300 lbs (when weighed at check-in), will be assessed a Capacity Surcharge of $50 on our Hughes/MD 500 or $100 on our Bell 407. They will be guaranteed a window seat. All guests weighing over 300 lbs are required to purchase a second, cabin comfort & safety seat at a discounted price. They will be guaranteed a window seat. Accurate weights at the time of booking are essential to ensure comfort and safety of all guests. If a passenger is unable to fly due to an inaccurate weight provided at the time of booking, no refund will be made. By maintaining proper weight and balance in our aircraft we can provide guests with a safe, smooth and comfortable Experience on Paradise Helicopters.
- Picture ID matching the credit card used for the purchase will be confirmed at check-in.
- We will not cancel a flight due to the weather unless it is unsafe to fly. Weather can change quickly so our pilots are checking weather continuously for safety and visibility concerns, and any decision to cancel due to weather is not made until right before a flight departs. We will fly if it is raining, but not if the visibility is poor.
- Cancellation Policy is 48 hours prior to your tour time.
Location: Paradise Helicopters, Kona Airport
Address: 73-341 Uu St, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/CpPMk2b9Xpa4iKvZ7
Please arrive 1 hour prior to your tour time.