UPDATED 2021: Description of activity subject to change without notice due to new limitations and updated capacities. Thank you.
- Availability: Daily
- Tour time: Morning, Afternoon
- Duration: 1 Hour*
*Approx. 1hr 30 min duration (includes 30 min check-in time and 1 hour flight time)
Fly with Paradise to the Kohala Valleys to hover amidst the breathtaking 2500’ waterfalls and sheer cliff faces. En route, you will witness frozen lava flows on the Kona and Kohala coasts from the 1801 Hualalai eruption and the 1859 Mauna Loa eruption, which traveled over 31 miles before reaching the now world-famous Kohala Coast. Dotting the shoreline along the way, you can pick out pristine white and black sand beaches — including Mahai’ula, Kiholo, Anaeho’omalu and Hapuna – to visit during your stay!
Upon arriving to the lush landscape of Kohala, your pilot will not only show you its rugged coastline, home to dramatic valleys, but will also educate you about this region’s significance in Hawai’ian history as the birthplace of Hawai’i’s most famous alii, Kamehameha the Great. Departing from the Kona International Airport, this 60-minute tour is a great choice for guests wanting to see the beauty of Kohala, without sacrificing beach time for drive time.
- 2500′ waterfalls and sheer cliff faces
- Frozen lava flows, Kona and Kohala
- Shorelines and black sand beaches
- Waterfalls and rugged coastlines
- Lush landscape of Kohala
- Birthplace of Kamehameha the Great
- Approx.1 hour* total air tour flight time in Bell 407 helicopter (seats up to 6 guests)
- Two-way communication between you, your pilot, and your group
- Warm clothing suggested as flight is cool and windy.
- Guests should not go SCUBA diving less than 24 hours before their flight departure time.
- Children under the age of two (2) fly free when seated in the lap of a paying adult – proof of age required for lap children under two (2). Children 24 months and over require an individual full-fare seat.
- Children must be at least 12 years old to sit next to an open door while aircraft is in flight.
- For passengers above 265 lbs., fees are charged during check out or at check-in. The guest will be guaranteed a window seat. All guests between 265 lbs – 300 lbs (when weighed at check-in), will be assessed a Capacity Surcharge of $50 on our Hughes/MD 500 or $100 on our Bell 407. They will be guaranteed a window seat. All guests weighing over 300 lbs are required to purchase a second, cabin comfort & safety seat at a discounted price. They will be guaranteed a window seat. Accurate weights at the time of booking are essential to ensure comfort and safety of all guests. If a passenger is unable to fly due to an inaccurate weight provided at the time of booking, no refund will be made. By maintaining proper weight and balance in our aircraft we can provide guests with a safe, smooth and comfortable Experience on Paradise Helicopters.
- Picture ID matching the credit card used for the purchase will be confirmed at check-in.
- We will not cancel a flight due to the weather unless it is unsafe to fly. Weather can change quickly so our pilots are checking weather continuously for safety and visibility concerns, and any decision to cancel due to weather is not made until right before a flight departs. We will fly if it is raining, but not if the visibility is poor.
- Cancellation Policy is 48 hours prior to your tour time.
- For Doors-Off Flights:
- Please bring a jacket as the cabin will be cool and very windy.
- If you wish to take photos during the flight, your camera or phone must have a strap and be secured to you.
- No hats or other loose accessories such as scarves are permitted on the flight.
- We will ask you to empty your pockets before your flight to remove anything that could potentially become airborne, including camera lenses or personal items.
- Closed-toe shoes required and may not have open backs
- Prescription glasses and sunglasses may be worn on doors-off flights as your 2-way communication headset will pin them securely to your head. If they are not worn, we will ask you to leave them behind.
- If you have longer hair, we recommend tying it back.
- No ipads or selfie sticks are allowed.
Location: Paradise Helicopters, Kona Airport
Address: 73-341 Uu St, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/CpPMk2b9Xpa4iKvZ7
Parking: Self-Pay parking at Kona Airport.
Check-in: Please arrive at our Kona base at the Kona Airport 1 hour prior to your tour departure time.
Our Kona base is located in the commuter terminal area of the airport by Mokulele.
- Easy: Suitable for adults, children, and seniors.