UPDATED 2021: Description of activity subject to change without notice due to new limitations and updated capacities. Thank you.
- Availability: Daily
- Tour time: Morning, Afternoon
- Duration: 2 Hours
*Approx. 2.5 hours (includes 30 min check in time,1 hour flight time, approx. 45-60 min ground tour)
Fly with Paradise to the Kohala Valleys to hover amidst the breathtaking 2500’ waterfalls and sheer cliff faces. En route, you will witness dramatic lava fields from the 1801 Hualalai eruption and the 1859 Mauna Loa eruption, which traveled over 31 miles before reaching the now world-famous Kohala Coast. Dotting the shoreline along the way, you can pick out one of the few pristine white or black sand beaches including Mahai’ula, Kiholo, Anaeho’omalu and Hapuna – to visit during your stay! Upon arriving to the lush landscape of Kohala, your pilot will not only show you its rugged coastline, home to dramatic valleys, but will also educate you about this region’s significance in Hawaiian history as the birthplace of Hawai’i’s famous alii, Kamehameha the Great.
Mid-flight your aircraft will touch down at a remote location deep in Kohala Mountains to explore and enjoy a moderate 0.5 mile pilot-led hike through a Guava (waiwi) forest. The meandering trail immerses you in the flora and fauna of Kohala and surprises you with a dramatic coastline vista, offering views of the Mokupuku island formations and waves crashing along the rugged north shore of Hawaii Island. All the while you will learn about the culture and diverse natural habitat of this untouched serene location that most people never see. After your refreshing hike, take to the air again, to view the drastic landscape change from windward to leeward, and the world-famous white and black sand beaches and resorts of the Kohala Coast en route to back to Kona.
Departing from the Kona International Airport, this 60-minute tour is a great choice for guests wanting to see the beauty of Kohala, without sacrificing beach time for drive time.
- 2500′ waterfalls and sheer cliff faces
- Frozen lava flows, Kona and Kohala
- Shorelines and black sand beaches
- Waterfalls and rugged coastlines
- Lush landscape of Kohala
- Birthplace of Kamehameha the Great
- Guava Forest
- Landing and hike to beautiful lookout point
- Air tour flown in our Bell 407 helicopter (seats up to 6 guests)
- Remote landing
- Two-way communication between you, your pilot, and your group
- Please wear long pants, a light jacket and closed-toe shoes.
- Guests should not go SCUBA diving less than 24 hours before their flight departure time.
- The minimum age requirement is 8 years old.
- Children must be at least 12 years old to sit next to an open door while aircraft is in flight.
- Each guest weighing 270 lbs. or more must purchase an extra seat for weight and balance purposes. The extra seat is discounted by 15% (before fuel surcharge). All guests who purchase an extra seat are guaranteed a window seat.
Weights for all guests are requested at the time of booking, and their accuracy is essential to ensure the comfort and safety of all guests. To ensure safety, we weigh all guests at check-in, and if we are unable to fly a guest due to an inaccurate weight provided at the time of booking, no refund will be made. By maintaining proper weight and balance in our aircraft we can provide guests with a safe, smooth and comfortable Experience on Paradise Helicopters.
- Picture ID matching the credit card used for the purchase will be confirmed at check-in.
- We will not cancel a flight due to the weather unless it is unsafe to fly. Weather can change quickly so our pilots are checking weather continuously for safety and visibility concerns, and any decision to cancel due to weather is not made until right before a flight departs. We will fly if it is raining, but not if the visibility is poor.
- Cancellation Policy is 48 hours prior to your tour time.
- For Doors-Off Flights:
- Please bring a jacket as the cabin will be cool and very windy.
- If you wish to take photos during the flight, your camera or phone must have a strap and be secured to you.
- No hats or other loose accessories such as scarves are permitted on the flight.
- We will ask you to empty your pockets before your flight to remove anything that could potentially become airborne, including camera lenses or personal items.
- Closed-toe shoes required and may not have open backs
- Prescription glasses and sunglasses may be worn on doors-off flights as your 2-way communication headset will pin them securely to your head. If they are not worn, we will ask you to leave them behind.
- If you have longer hair, we recommend tying it back.
- No ipads or selfie sticks are allowed.
Location: Paradise Helicopters, Kona Airport
Address: 73-341 Uu St, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/CpPMk2b9Xpa4iKvZ7
Parking: Self-Pay parking at Kona Airport.
Check-in: Please arrive at our Kona base at the Kona Airport 1 hour prior to your tour departure time.
Our Kona base is located in the commuter terminal area of the airport by Mokulele.
- Moderate: Ideal for active adults and active children over the age of 8.