This five-hour guided tour is a wonderful waterfall adventure for the active family, combining idyllic paddling on the Wailua River and at times, depending on weather conditions, a moderate to challenging hike to a remote bridal-veil waterfall.
The Wailua River became the center of activity for early Hawaiians and is known as one of Hawaii’s two most sacred places.
At night, it is said that one can still hear ancient drums thunder in concert with the nearby surf. The trail leading to our sacred waterfall is a beautiful “greenhouse” where flowers, brooks and ferns abound. Swim by the waterfall.
The early Polynesian culture is represented here, steeped in a colorful past, rich with rock-wall terracing, legends and lore.
The setting for this jaunt is tranquil and tropical, the pace is unhurried. We delight in sharing the peaceful, pastoral existence of ancient Hawaii with you.
Bird watch for a night heron or coot.
Swim in the pools or stream leading from the falls (we don’t recommend swimming under the waterfall due to falling rocks).
Come share the life and natural history of this mystical land and enjoy its great quiet with us!
- Guide(s) State certified and trained in water safety.
- Personal Flotation Devices (PFDs) i.e. life preservers.
- Double sit on top kayaks
- Water resistant bags
- Walking sticks
- Scrumptious, mouth watering deli sandwiches (turkey, roast beef, ham, salami, or vegetarian)
- Chips, tropical fruit and cookies
- Refreshments of tropical juices, sodas and bottled water
- Availability: Monday through Saturday (No Sundays)
- Tour Times: 7:45 AM, 9:00 AM, 12:15 PM, 12:45 PM
- Duration: 5 Hours
- Sun protection
- Light shirt
- Bathing suit
- Footwear for a trail that can be muddy at times (no flip flops, tennis shoes that you don’t mind getting dirty and wet)
- Towel and change of clothes
- 2 person minimum opens a tour
- We do not take children under 5 years
- Children under 16 years need to be accompanied by an adult; if not, service will be denied with no refund.
- Difficulty level: This activity is rated “Family Friendly” for the active family
- Great for individuals of all ages 5+, couples and families as long as you have no physical or health limitations
- Participants should be comfortable in the water and enjoy moderate to challenging hiking along a flat river bed
- More or less, five hours of easy sightseeing, paddling, and more challenging hiking, and in some cases trail can be very slippery and muddy
- Trail can be muddy any time of the year make sure children and adults are up to the challenging potential of a slip and slide on the trail!
- This tour is doable by most people in average shape. If for any reason the paddle and/or hike portion is not accomplished by individuals, there is no refund.
- Please submit special dietary requests at least 24 hours in advance of tour.
Before you sign up, please be aware…
At different times of the year the waterfall can be vary in volume from a trickle to impressive force.
Since 1988, when we first pioneered and began offering this tour to the public, a lot has changed. The main change is that the “Secret Falls” is today the best known “secret” on the island. Nevertheless, we feel our guides will help you enjoy this tour for the paddle, serenity, and scenery you will stumble upon as you discover and share with many others, one of the best kept known secrets of Kaua’i!
Location: Wailua River Marina
Address: 3-5971 Kuhio Hwy, Kapaa, HI 96746
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/2GttxAh5oE92
Please submit special dietary requests at least 24 hours in advance of tour.