Start your Hawaiian day like never before… from the top of the tallest volcano on earth. See the morning sky light up in brilliant shades of red, orange, purple and blue. Learn about the cultural and scientific significance of the mountain, as you stand among the world’s greatest collection of astronomy equipment.
- See the night sky on the slope of Maunakea before the day’s first light
- Take in the sunrise at the top of Maunakea, amidst the world’s largest collection of research telescopes
- Enjoy a hot breakfast* on the beautiful mountain
*Continental Breakfast: Assorted sliced fresh fruit, fresh baked banana bread , croissants, boiled egg, yogurt, granola, 100% Kona Coffee, Hot Cocoa & Assorted Teas
- Availability: Wednesday and Friday
- Tour Times: Times vary with sunrise, 2:10 AM -3:10 AM*
- Duration: 7 Hours
*Please see calendar for exact tour times
- Guests are provided hooded parkas, but should bring a sweater or jacket.
- Wear long pants and covered walking shoes with warm socks.
- Rated: Easy to Moderate.
- No children under 16.
- Weather changes quickly and the access road to the summit can close without warning, therefore we cannot guarantee access to the summit.
- Guests should be able to walk on uneven or rocky terrain.
- The temperature can dip below freezing when at high elevation on the mountain.
- Because of high altitude, this tour is not advised for those with respiratory, circulatory or heart conditions, pregnancy or poor health.
- Scuba divers should be aware of altitude dangers. No scuba diving permitted within 24 hours of tour.
- Other tour restrictions may apply.
Pick up included from select resort locations in Kona/Waikoloa and Hilo. See transportation tab for pick up locations.
Pick up Locations:
Hilo Seaside Hotel
Hilo Hawaiian Hotel by Castle Resorts
Hilo Naniloa Hotel
Hilo Bay Hostel
Dolphin Bay Hotel