DEPARTS: HILO / DURATION: 1.5 HOURS / AVAILABILITY: DAILY
FEEL THE HEAT! Take a ride in our Hughes 500 helicopter with no doors, and find out for yourself why the Travel Channel calls this the “hottest helicopter ride on Earth!” Kīlauea Volcano has been continuously erupting for 30 years, and even at 500 feet above the flowing lava and open vents, you will feel waves of hot air rolling off the subsurface flows, which can reach temperatures of 2,000 degrees! Along the way, cool off as you soar over Hilo’s lush rain forests, Mauna Loa’s vistas and the plunging Wai‘ānuenue (Rainbow Falls), so named for the rainbows you can see in the mist when the early morning sunshine hits the water.
There’s no better vantage point than a helicopter, and there’s no bigger thrill than leaving the doors behind so there is nothing between you and the sights!
- Current activity at Kilauea Volcano
- Tropical rainforests of Puna
- Waterfalls of North Hilo
DEPARTURE TIME & LOCATION
- Departure: Hourly
- Paradise Helicopters, Hilo Airport
INCLUDED IN THIS ADVENTURE
- Approx. 45 minutes* total air tour flight time in MD500 helicopter
- Two-way communication between you, your pilot, and your group
- Doors-off experience
- Warm clothing suggested as flight is cool and windy • All cameras and sunglasses must have straps
- No hats permitted on flight
- Closed-toe shoes required
- Paid parking
- Approx. 1.5 hours, including check-in
*Total flight time typically varies from 40-50 minutes
- Easy: Suitable for adults, children and seniors.
PLEASE ARRIVE 1 HOUR PRIOR TO YOUR SCHEDULED TOUR FOR BRIEFING