- Big Island Eco Tours
- Big Island Hiking & Climbing
- Big Island Tours & Activities
- Big Island Volcano Tours
- Hawaii Volcano Tours
- Hiking & Climbing
- Mauna Kea
Our journey from sea level to nearly 14,000 foot summit of Mauna Kea reveals the wonders and world-class clarity of the Hawaiian night sky. We utilize an 11” Celestron Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope!
- Picnic style dinner, assorted teas, hot chocolate, and dessert.
- Warm wear including, hooded parkas and gloves.
- Enjoy a warm picnic dinner on the beautiful mountain while learning about Hawaiian star navigation
- Your guide will share historic accounts of early travelers through the mountain lands
- Delight in the awe-inspiring sunset at the top of Maunakea, the highest point in the Pacific
- Stand amidst the world’s largest collection of research telescopes
- Sip hot chocolate during your private starshow at 9,000 feet elevation with an 11” Celestron telescope
- Availability: Daily
- Tour Times: 2:40 PM
- Duration: 8 Hours
- Closed toe shoes
- Wear long pants
- Bring a sweatshirt or sweater
- Due to the high altitude this tour is not advised for those with respiratory, circulatory or heart conditions, or poor health.
- Pregnant women are not permitted on this tour. The access road to the summit of Maunakea is four-wheel drive only, so it can be bumpy. Our custom off-road motor coaches will get you to the top and back as comfortably as possible
- Children under 16 are not permitted on this tour due to altitude
- Guest must not have scuba dived within 24 hours of the tour. If you plan to scuba dive, do not plan to go to the summit within 24 hours after you dive due to the altitude.
- Tours maximum guide to guest ratio is 1:14
- Guests should be able to walk on uneven or rocky terrain. There is minimal walking on this tour, the maximum being about 150 yards
- The temperature can dip below freezing when at high elevation on the mountain. We sometimes encounter cool, wet or muddy conditions. Average mean temperature is 32 degrees Fahrenheit or 0 Celsius.
- Please note that the Maunakea Visitor station is currently closed for renovations and they estimate they will reopen late Summer 2019.
- Weather changes can occur quickly and the access road to the summit can close without warning, therefore we cannot guarantee access to the summit or favorable conditions.
- The summit and visitor’s center areas of Maunakea are normally above the clouds. Due to our high demand for this experience and the constraints of our permit we are often unable to reschedule guests when cancellations occur, therefore we try to avoid canceling tours if we can safely reach the visitor’s center and/or summit. Conditions constantly change on the mountain and weather is part of the adventure!
- This tour departs from Kona; our dinner location does not allow private vehicle parking and there is no safe and legal place for you to leave your vehicle along the saddle road late at night. Additionally, our permit does not allow guests to meet us at the Mauna Kea Visitor Information Center. For these reasons we asks guests who are staying in Hilo to take our Mauna Kea Sunrise Experience or ask us for recommendations on other companies that go to the summit from Hilo.
Pick-up Location and Time:
- Hawaii Forest & Trail Kona Headquarters – 2:55 PM
- Four Seasons Resort Hualalai – 3:15 PM
- Hilton Wailkoloa Village – 3:30 PM
- Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa – 3:35 PM
- Queens’ Market Place – 3:40 PM
- Paniolo Greens Resort – 3:50 PM
- Lava Java Waikoloa – 3:50 PM