The Kohala Ditch Trail is an extraordinary journey along the unique windswept coastline of North Kohala. Our trail traces the old railroad path, which once serviced our bustling sugar industry. Riding through private ranchlands and pastures to the coast, the Historical Ocean Trail is an enjoyable ride that is easy for every level of rider.
Along the way, your knowledgeable local guides share the genuine history of Old Hawai’i. This is no dusty tour book – this is the living, breathing land of legend. Relax and enjoy refreshments at a beautiful and secluded pebbled beach, once favored by King Kamehameha (Kamehameha the Great). It is still a haven for surfers.
Continue your journey into the Kohala Mountain and ride along the unique Kohala Ditch system. Descending through Macadamia nut orchards with breathtaking coastal views of North Kohala. The trail rewards riders with breathtaking scenery of the rugged Kohala coastline cliffs jutting out into the sea and sweeping countryside and open spaces. It is an experience you will never forget.
Spectacular scenery on top of 200-foot sea cliffs. Ride along an ancient Hawaiian pathway to King Kamehameha’s famous surf spot. Enjoy refreshments at a secluded pebbled bay with a birds-eye view of Keawaeli Bay, where the warmest winter surf on the Big Island can be found.
- riding instructions
- Hawaiian bottled water
- fruit juice
- Wear clothes you don’t mind getting dirty.
- Bring a change of clothes, towels, and a camera!
- Guests participating in our 15-mile Waterfall and 22-mile Deluxe Adventures are suggested to wear swimsuits underneath their clothes in case there is an opportunity to swim at the waterfall.
- We will provide helmets, goggles, and gloves and all required safety gear for the tour.
- We offer rentals on shoes and pants at $8 per item.
- Names, heights and weights, and age (if under 18 years old) REQUIRED of all participants no later than 24 hours prior to the tour
- Children ages 5-15 years old are able to participate as a passenger. Restrictions apply.
- A parent or legal guardian (with letter) must accompany anyone under the age of 18 years old.
- Single Rider ATV: Driver must be at least 16 years of age and 4’10’’. Maximum weight is 300 lbs.
- Ages 16-18 years old are required to provide identification showing date of birth at time of check in. If unable to provide ID at that time, they will not be able to drive their own ATV and there will be no adjustment to charges.
- Two Passenger Tandem ATV: Driver must be at least 25 years of age. Passenger must be at least 12 years old, 5’ tall, and have a minimum weight of 85 lbs. Passengers weight cannot exceed the weight of the driver. Maximum combined weight is 350 lbs.
- Two Passenger Side by Side ATV: Driver must be at least 25 years of age and 5’4”. Maximum combined weight is 500 lbs. Passenger must be at least 5 years old and have a minimum weight of 45 lbs.
- Four Passenger ATV: Driver must be at least 25 years of age and 5’4”. Maximum combined weight is 800 lbs. Passengers must be at least 5 years old and have a minimum weight of 45 lbs.
- All riders must wear shirt, long pants and completely covered shoes.
- Go Pros or similar devices may be used during stops only, no exceptions!
- Helmets, goggles and gloves are provided (mandatory).
*We are unable to accommodate expectant mothers, people who have had recent surgery or have chronic back and or neck problems.
- No passing, no stunts, no reckless maneuvers.
- Stay on the trail at all times
- All riders must pass the practice course.
- Our tours are incredibly scenic and historical; this is NOT a wild ride.