- Big Island Eco Tours
- Big Island Hiking & Climbing
- Big Island Tours & Activities
- Big Island Volcano Tours
- Hawaii Volcano Tours
- Hiking & Climbing
Venture onto private land behind 3 locked gates to explore the upper slopes of Kona’s very own volcano – Hualalai. This journey provides intimate, unique access to the site of multiple volcanic eruptions from the 1800’s, all within a short distance. We also offer private exclusive tours for groups of 12 or more, please call us for more information.
- Exclusive private access onto Hualalai volcano and into a native forest.
- Take pleasure in a 3-4 mile hike through untouched cloud forest with incredible vistas of the Kona coast.
- Stand on the edge of precipitous volcanic craters that plunge deep into the earth below.
- Climb through a segment of a lava tube.
- After your hike, tour Kona’s newest brewery and enjoy a sampling of locally made beers, ciders, and/or non-alcoholic energy drinks.
- Deli style lunch with assorted soft drinks, juices and bottled water.
- Enjoy a flight of locally made beers, ciders, and/or non-alcoholic energy drinks
- Gear – Walking sticks, warm wear, day packs and rain ponchos.
- Availability: Monday, Wednesday and Saturday
- Tour Times: 7:30 AM
- Duration: 7 Hours
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Wear a hat
- Wear sunscreen
- Bring a light sweatshirt or jacket.
- Tour is for ages 8 years and older.
- Maximum of 12 participants.
- Guests should be able to hike on uneven or rocky terrain. We sometimes encounter cool and wet conditions. Other tour restrictions may apply. We’ll stop a couple times throughout the adventure for short hikes of less than ½ mile. Our tour ranges from sea level to 6,000 feet. We will meander on a single track trail through native forest with a mild elevation change of approximately 30 feet. While exploring the lava tube, expect to descend and ascend approximately 30 – 40 feet.
- Technically speaking, yes. Hualalai’s last eruption ended in 1801 so it is considered active. However, magma is not close to the surface so we won’t see any geothermal activity.
Pick-up Location and Time:
- Westin Hapuna Beach Resort (formerly Hapuna Prince) – 6:15 AM
- Mauna Kea Beach Hotel – 6:15 AM
- Fairmont Orchid – 6:25 AM
- Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows – 6:25 AM
- Holua Resort at the Mauna Loa Village – 6:35 AM
- Mauna Loa Village – 6:35 AM
- Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort & Spa – 6:35 AM
- Hilton Wailkoloa Village – 6:35 AM
- Kona Coast Resort – 6:40 AM
- Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa – 6:40 AM
- Kona Bali Kai – 6:45 AM
- Queens’ Market Place – 6:45 AM
- Kona by the Sea – 6:50 AM
- Royal Sea Cliff – 6:50 AM
- Kona Hawaiian Resort – 6:55 AM
- Royal Kona Resort – 7:00 AM
- King Kamehameha Courtyard Marriott – 7:05 AM
- Four Seasons Resort Hualalai – 7:05 AM
- Hawaii Forest & Trail Kona Headquarters – 7:30 AM