This tour will now be run in one of our brand new 4WD Short Wheel Base Mercedes Sprinters. These vehicles are perfect for our birdwatching tours as they are designed for smaller, more intimate groups (9 passengers max) and deliver a rugged build that allows access to those off-the-beaten-path locations. To top it off, they offer all the luxury comforts including leather captains seats, USB charging ports and a roof mounted awning. Riding in style with our best in class field guides to a restricted access nature preserve, you’ll experience a truly unique Hawaii Island adventure!
- Continental breakfast including fresh local fruit, baked goods, 100% Kona coffee, tea and hot chocolate.
- Deli style lunch, with assorted beverages.
- Gears – Walking sticks, binoculars, day packs, warm wear and rain ponchos.
- Gain entry into a restricted-access National Wildlife Refuge
- Discover rare native plants and animals, including carnivorous caterpillars and happy-faced spiders
- Search for native & endangered birds including Amakihi, Apapane, Elepaio, Akepa, Akiapolaau, and Iiwi
- Our interpretive guides are expert bird trackers
- Availability: Tuesday
- Tour Times: 6:30 AM
- Duration: 12 Hours
- Sturdy closed-toe shoes or boots
- Wear long pants
- Bring a light rain jacket.
- Tour is for ages 8 years and older
- Maximum of 12 participants
- Tour is rated Moderate. Guests should be able to hike on uneven or rocky terrain. Expect to cover approximately 2 to 4 miles in 4 hours. Over the course of the hike the elevation change is approximately 650’.
- We sometimes encounter cool, wet or muddy conditions.
- Due to the behavior of Hawaii’s endemic birds, the use of a spotting scope can be challenging. If you feel up to the test, we do encourage you to bring your own birdwatching gear. We do provide binoculars on the tour for guest use
- Fresh local fruit
- Baked goods
- 100% Kona coffee, tea and hot chocolate
Deli style lunch with assorted beverages.
Pick-up Location and Time:
- Hawaii Forest & Trail Kona Headquarters – 6:30 AM
- Kukio Golf & Beach Club – 6:45 AM
- Four Seasons Resort Hualalai – 6:50 AM
- Hilton Wailkoloa Village – 7:05 AM
- Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa – 7:10 AM
- Queens’ Market Place – 7:15 AM
- Paniolo Greens Resort – 7:25 AM
- Lava Java Waikoloa – 7:25 AM
- Mauna Kea Recreational Park – 8:00 AM