This is a unique opportunity to enter a rare native ecosystem. Nature lovers and birdwatchers will delight in exploring two exceptional habitats revealing the evolutionary epic of Hawaiian biology and observing native flora and fauna found nowhere else on earth.
- Continental breakfast including fresh local fruit, baked goods, 100% Kona coffee, tea and hot chocolate.
- Deli-style lunch, with assorted beverages.
- Gear – Walking sticks, binoculars, day packs, warm wear and rain ponchos.
- Exploration of a cloud mist forest on Maunaloa and a sub-alpine Dryforest on Maunakea
- Visit the last wild Palila habitat in search of this rare & endangered bird
- Hike in native forest amongst unique endangered plants, animals, and insects
- Discover the jewels of our forest including Amakihi, Iiwi, Elepaio, Apapane, and our endangered Akiapolaau
- Availability: Thursday
- Tour Times: 6:30 AM
- Duration: 12 Hours
- Sturdy closed-toed shoes or boots
- Wear long pants
- Bring a light rain jacket
- Tour is for ages 8 years and older
- Maximum of 12 participants
- Guests should be able to hike on uneven or rocky terrain. We sometimes encounter cool, wet or muddy conditions. Expect to hike approximately 4 miles in the Rainforest portion of this adventure, and less than 1 mile in the Dryforest portion. Elevation gain is minimal: 500’ in the Rainforest, and 350’ in the Dryforest.
- Due to the behavior of Hawaii’s endemic birds, the use of a spotting scope can be challenging. If you feel up to the test, we encourage you to bring your own birdwatching gear. We provide binoculars for guest use.
- Fresh local fruit
- Baked goods
- 100% Kona coffee, tea and hot chocolate.
Deli style lunch with assorted beverages.
Pick-up Location and Time:
- Hawaii Forest & Trail Kona Headquarters – 6:30 AM
- Kukio Golf & Beach Club – 6:45 AM
- Four Seasons Resort Hualalai – 6:50 AM
- Hilton Wailkoloa Village – 7:05 AM
- Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa – 7:10 AM
- Queens’ Market Place – 7:15 AM
- Paniolo Greens Resort – 7:25 AM
- Lava Java Waikoloa – 7:25 AM
- Kilohana Hunters MM 43.5 – 8:05 AM