1 Hour 45 Minutes
Awaken your senses on Blue Hawaiian’s unique new “Craters and Coffee” tour. This multi-sensory event departs from Hilo for an exhilarating flight over Hawaii Island’s incredible Kilauea volcano, summit, and vent. Then you’ll land at Ka’u Coffee Mill for a tour and tasting experience. Enjoy a seed-to-cup walking tour through milling and roasting rooms before arriving at the tasting room, where several varieties of Hawaiian-made coffee, local macadamia nuts, and chocolate-covered coffee beans await. Back aboard your superb Eco-Star helicopter, witness first-hand the Big Island’s new landscapes—such as exquisite black-sand beaches at Pohoiki and Kapoho Bay—and other stunning sights including towering sea cliffs and colorful ancient lava flows.
- Availability: Daily
- Tour Time: 10:00 AM, 2:00 PM
- Duration: 1 Hour 45 Minutes
- Wear solid dark-colored clothing. Our helicopters are temperature controlled so dress comfortably but wear dark clothing. This will cause less reflection in the windows to allow a clear view of all the sights. It will also allow you to take better photos and video without clothing items or light-colored logos or patterns from your clothing reflecting in the photos that you and other guests would like to take of the magnificent scenery. Hats are not allowed to be worn around the helicopters as they can fly up into the rotors and damage the aircraft. We will be happy to hold any hats for you until you return from your tour.
- If your tour includes a landing, we recommend closed-toed shoes such as athletic shoes. The ground at our remote landing sites can be uneven and sometimes a bit wet. At some landing sites there is a chance to walk around and get the best angle for your photos and videos so closed-toed shoes are best in these remote locations. Also, remember to bring a sweater in case it’s chilly.
- Bring your camera or cell phone (on airplane mode) to take photos and video of your tour. Even if you plan to purchase our inflight video, you will not want to miss an opportunity to save these memories.
- Arrive on time to check in. This will make your whole tour experience go more smoothly as we do need to complete a required safety briefing and prepare each passenger prior to the tour.
- Allow adequate time for the full experience. Weather and other factors can sometimes affect the tour take off and return times so you will not want to schedule another activity immediately following your tour or too close to your departing flight. Allow a little cushion. Also, most guests like to spend a few minutes taking a photo with the pilot in front of the helicopter, checking out the gift store and purchasing their inflight video so you won’t want to rush off. Relax and enjoy your total experience.
- For each guest weighing more than 260 pounds on Eco-Star flights an adjacent, empty seat purchase is required. The charge for an adjacent empty seat is 50% off of the regular tour price. This open seat ensures the comfort for you and all of our guests on your flight.
- 70 minutes in the air
- 35 minutes on the ground (includes a 20-25 minute walking/tasting tour)
- 10-15 minutes to unload & load passengers back on the aircraft)
Address: 2450 Kekuanaoa St, Hilo, HI 96720
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/M64TzU5zzG2w1TR48
- The location and magnitude of lava activity is ever changing. The only chance of seeing flowing lava is on the Big Island of Hawaii during the portion of your tour that is over Volcanoes National Park. Not all Big Island tours overfly the park. Even if your tour does overfly the park, sight of lava cannot be guaranteed. Routes and times vary with wind and weather, and volcanic activity changes hourly.
- All of our bases are wheelchair accessible and ADA compliant. Each base also has a custom built chair lift to assist passengers into the helicopter safely and comfortably.